5 bites - low carb

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5 bites - low carb

Post  Houndy on Mon May 05, 2014 4:10 pm

I have been experimenting with eating 10 bites low carb versus 10 bites with carbs. So far I am finding that 10 bite days with no carbs works well, but contributes to the headaches. I would also like to try 10 bites Vegan and lowering salt. It seems I primarily crave protein for lunch and dinner so it pays to choose wisely!
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Re: 5 bites - low carb

Post  tammyjm10 on Mon May 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Yes- i don't think i could do no carbs with so little food. I think the carbs add some bulk that i need - but i do have a salt problem- i need to cut down on that!

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  Fleming426 on Tue May 06, 2014 3:17 pm

When I start 5BD in a few days (after I get the book, I think), I'll most likely be doing it pretty much low-carb, since I have a wheat (& most other grains) sensitivity... I'm not always 100% on avoiding them, but I always notice how much better I feel when I go wheat-free...

The headaches should go away after a few days... for more info about what wheat can do to us, check out the book Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD...

Fleming426

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Tue May 06, 2014 5:02 pm

Yes- I have seen Wheat Belly- it is a great book! I believe it completely- but for me- already having to cut my food down so much- I really need the freedom of being able to eat whatever I want- but I have had no external sugar- just in my bread. But yes- a wheat allergy is no fun- I almost wish I had one so I WOULD stay away from bread! ( sorry- that sounds terrible ) not to make light of having a gluten problem - but good for you for starting this adventure! It really works- I feel fantastic and it is truly a miracle plan. Good luck - and we are here to cheer you on!!!!

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

re: 5 bites - low carb

Post  Houndy on Tue May 06, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes, I've got a copy of Wheat Belly and I was very successful for many years by cutting carbs. I later switched to Vegan after reading a few books by Dr. Fuhrman. The only problem I see w/these restrictive diets is eventually a person will eat the things they've not been allowed to eat and will often gain more than they started with. I'm now convinced that portion size has become a serious issue for Americans, especially when eating out.
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Tue May 06, 2014 6:36 pm

That so so true. I too have done every diet - and yes- whatever it is I'm NOT allowed to eat becomes my sole obsession and focus. Portion control feels right- AND makes me and my body feel better.

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Portion Control...

Post  Fleming426 on Thu May 08, 2014 2:50 pm

I have to agree with y'all about portion control being the key to successful weight loss/maintenance... the plan I followed 4 years ago (Ideal Protein) & lost about 70 lbs in 6 months was not only based on very low carb & sufficient protein, but also required portion control... I attribute my weight loss to both... there was a limit on everything I ate, protein, fat, veggies, even salad... it wasn't a free-for-all like Atkins... knowing how much for each & every meal made it easy to stick to... it was only when I started giving in to cravings & mindless eating that I started gaining weight again...

Fleming426

Back to top Go down

re: Portion Control

Post  Houndy on Thu May 08, 2014 5:46 pm

I agree, there is just no way around portion control as a lifetime strategy for success. Even when I did Atkins, I had to eat less to lose weight. It worked for awhile but it's hard to give up carbs for a lifetime! The main problem I am having here with 5BD is finding enough energy to exercise. I am making it through the day ok, but I am still too tired to exercise. I am hoping this is temporary and that I will have more energy down the road.
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Thu May 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Yes it's hard to have energy on little food- but it does get better. I have never been an exerciser - but I do find it hard sometimes even to do my cleaning! I do feel better all around tho - so that must be something. I am definately not as tired as I used to be- I think it just takes some getting used to!

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  Houndy on Thu May 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks Tammyjm10, I feel better too but just not enough pep left to exercise. I have such a terrible commute that it takes a lot outta me. I figure as pounds are coming off, and as I adjust to the calorie deficit, I will be better able to exercise. I miss the "buzz" I used to get from exercise, and I don't want to end up as a fat (or feeble) old geezer! I still do quite a bit of yardwork and chores and if I lose some fat, I will actually have some arm muscle definition. We had a fire drill today at work and there were some really heavy folks out there wearing sleveless tops... yikes.
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Thu May 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Hahaha that is so funny!! I won't ever wear sleeveless tops because I have always hated my arms! Even tee shirts that show a little bit of elbow bothers me! Haha - funny you talk about the buzz of exercise- I kinda feel a buzz from the less amount of food I am eating. Kinda a high almost! Weird. But much preferred over the stuffed lethargic feeling I used to have. I will take this any day!! Wink

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  Houndy on Thu May 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I am laughing! I agree, and I would never wear sleveless unless I knew I could pull it off. I used to keep an arm photo of Jillian Michaels around since that is how a person is supposed to look wearing a "muscle shirt." It is always surprising to see that it is the very heaviest of folks who go sleveless. I guess I must give them credit on some level though I feel there is also something to be said for covering up severe problem areas.  Shocked 
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Post  JL's Mom on Wed May 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Talking about arms...I would like to go one summer without wearing 3/4 sleeve sweaters!!!!!!!!!!! Mad 

JL's Mom

Back to top Go down

Post  Fleming426 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:34 pm

JL's Mom wrote:Talking about arms...I would like to go one summer without wearing 3/4 sleeve sweaters!!!!!!!!!!! Mad 

Me too!!!.. I haven't worn anything sleeveless in public in 20 years...

Fleming426

Back to top Go down

Post  Houndy on Thu May 15, 2014 12:40 pm

I only wear tank tops indoors... would be great to be able to go outside! It really is so much cooler in summer to be able to wear sleveless. Course, after what I've seen riding metro, I won't be ready for at least a few months.  Surprised 
Houndy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top