Tips on Food choices!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tips on Food choices!

Post  cnichols74 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:15 pm

I have a question for those who have been on the 5bd for longer than a week. What happens when you hit a plateau? I know for myself, I have been losing weight using calorie restriction with working out everyday. I find I don't lose much when choosing high sodium meals, or eating a large amount of carbs..even though I am eating low caloric foods. Are there diet hacks to help lose the weight, such as more protein choices or certain food types in this diet? Thanks!
cnichols74

Back to top Go down

Re: Tips on Food choices!

Post  Sexy123 on Thu May 01, 2014 2:33 pm

Good Morning!

Today is day 4 for me, but since there are no other replies, I thought I would chime in until the experts chime in. I lost over 70lbs last time I seriously dieted. I got pregnant immediately afterwards and have now decided to finally take off this "baby" weight.

Plateaus usually happen because your body gets used to whatever it is you are doing whether eating the same foods or doing the same exercises. I have read that some who are eating for example 50 bites a day will reduce the bites to break a plateau. Others who were not skipping breakfast, eliminated that meal as suggested and have noticed a re-start to losing. Some have changed foods. Certain foods...esp those high in protein will simply help with weight loss faster than junk. Good carbs are also something to consider. I love spinach, cabbage, and baked sweet potatoes. If not drinking enough water, sometimes the body will not function as well and thus the weight loss will not continue as fast. Also, try eliminating carbonated beverages and track whether that helps or not. I do not add salt to anything. Salt is not my friend. I use liquid amino when I absolutely have to taste something salty. Or I use Mrs Dash seasoning to add flavor without the salt. Also, something as simple as tweaking the time of day you eat your meals sometimes helps. Tweaking when you work out sometimes helps. And oddly enough, sometimes adding the right healthy "fat" will kick your metabolism back into high gear. Strength and resistance training is also a great way to keep your metabolism going in order to break a plateau. Interval training also works wonders and just switching up your workout routine in general helps.

I hope this helps a little. Wishing you the best in your 5bite journey!
Sexy123

Sexy123

Back to top Go down

Post  cnichols74 on Fri May 02, 2014 1:09 pm

I think the sodium intake is a factor also! I took out my breakfast meal yesterday, ate at 3pm & had popcorn in the evening. I am not doing literally 5 bites but that is because I have been counting my calories & find that works well for me. My calorie intake before starting this was about 800 - 900 a day with about one cheat day in a week. I also do pretty aggressive workouts as well & have been doing those religiously everyday. Still, the scale is stuck I am thinking it's broke lol. I do drink diet soda, I am sure the high salt intake and sodium amounts are hindering my progress. It is just a struggle because I crave salt and it is hard enough doing this severe of a calorie restriction. I figure in the diet he uses 2 snickers bars which is like 500 calories for both in a day, that I would just cut my calories down to no more than 600 calories and see what that does for me. Thanks for the tips!
cnichols74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sexy123 on Fri May 02, 2014 1:43 pm

If that tweak doesn't work, perhaps you could consider trying 5 bites for a few days and see how your body responds.

Sexy123

Back to top Go down

Post  ellesjourney on Fri May 02, 2014 7:01 pm

cnichols74 wrote:I have a question for those who have been on the 5bd for longer than a week. What happens when you hit a plateau? I know for myself, I have been losing weight using calorie restriction with working out everyday. I find I don't lose much when choosing high sodium meals, or eating a large amount of carbs..even though I am eating low caloric foods. Are there diet hacks to help lose the weight, such as more protein choices or certain food types in this diet? Thanks!

Hey! I'm thinking of starting this and I'm just wondering how much weight you've lost so far?

ellesjourney

Back to top Go down

Post  cnichols74 on Fri May 02, 2014 7:40 pm

I just started yesterday! I have been stuck at 123.7lbs on the scale (I am 5ft) and have been working out diligently & been restricting calories for about 2 weeks. I would say 4 pounds lost before trying this. I did not weigh myself this morning but plan on it tomorrow morning. I really didn't count on losing anything in a day but maybe two days will work! The reason I am not doing the literal 5 bites as described in the diet is because I felt there was just too much variation in the amount of calories you would be getting. For example, if I choose a Big Mac for 5 bites, it will come out to be a lot more calories than say 5 bites of soup. I wanted a more accurate account of what I was consuming SO i decided to go on what would be roughly the amount of 2 snickers bars or what the book showed as an example of what would be 10 bites in a day. I base my intake in 2 meals, to be a total of 500-600 calories. I had been taking in 800-900 before with 2 cheat days within 2 weeks time. I do not eat anything for breakfast or really until 3pm in the afternoon.
cnichols74

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Mon May 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Cnichols- i have been on for 10 days and have a had a 14 pound loss with 3 days of a plateau. The last 2 days in a row i didn't lose- but i know my body is adjusting and catching up with itself

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  cin123 on Tue May 06, 2014 9:59 am

Hi cnichols,

Plateaus are always frustrating...

It is so hard to say, but it could be that the variation in calories day to day on the 5bite diet is just one more good thing about the diet. There are many diets out there that the key strategy is to vary the amount of calories day to day (I think its referred to as cycling - calorie cycling). So even though the main point of 5bite is Portion control and getting the stomach to shrink so that one is satisfied with a smaller amount of food, variation in calories in another benefit.

So, if what you prefer is calorie counting, maybe experiment with varying calories throughout the week.

I am almost the same stats as you and I have been stuck for sooooo long (literally years). I just started 5 bite and I am finally losing. I used to eat healthy but large volumes of food compared to what I am doing now. I just couldn't get the scale to move. I think that getting my stomach used to a lower volume of food is going to be the key for me. Just sharing my experience- lol - I don't mean for it to sound like I am selling the diet - probably what works it what we are willing to stick to - and I am liking the portion control and freedom on this diet. one of the keys to why French don't get fat is portion control - they enjoy good food but in much more reasonable portions than what Americans do.

If you plateau for too long, then that might mean its time to do something different to get the scale to move but if it is a short amount of time, then maybe chalk it up to the body adjusting. I think hormones can even have an effect on things - water retention, etc...

I completely agree with the strength training sexy123 mentioned.

Good luck  Smile 
cin123

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Tue May 06, 2014 4:54 pm

I totally agree Cin- I think the body needs to adjust and definately I think the varying amount of calories every day makes the body not get comfy on exactly 1200 calories or whatever you USED to be doing. Even when the scale sticks- in another day or two it moves again! This morn I was down another two pounds since my two day stick. It really works!!

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  cin123 on Tue May 06, 2014 11:40 pm

tammy - I am happy for your 2 pound loss! Awesome Very Happy
cin123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top