Today is my first day!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Today is my first day!

Post  abk440 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:20 pm

Started today and did this Years ago!!! with the internet, and everyone on here to help, should be better this time around. I lost 60 lbs. last time I did this. If I find my old journal I can fill you on what I did. I am going to only fill this in during the week and not weekends as I am so busy!!! Good luck to everyone!

abk440

Back to top Go down

Re: Today is my first day!

Post  Mareh on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Congrats on your past weight loss and welcome back! Smile

Mareh

Back to top Go down

Post  tammyjm10 on Thu May 01, 2014 9:37 pm

Welcome! Thats really inspirational to hear-60 pounds! Good luck and we are here for you!

tammyjm10

Back to top Go down

Post  pelya on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:28 pm

60lbs is great, how long did that take and did you stick to the five bites?

pelya

Back to top Go down

How's it going?

Post  Nova3D on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:20 am

How is it going? I'm new and eager for ideas from both the seasoned and the newbies.

Nova3D

Back to top Go down

Post  signa on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:59 am

I pretty much got "scared straight" into doing this diet. I first changed my diet completely (to a plant based one a few years ago, not to 5BD)  to avoid going on statins for my cholesterol.  The plant based diet I used did wonders in that department - my cholesterol dropped through the floor, and my blood pressure has never been lower. (At my last check-up the nurse practitioner wanted to know if I took blood pressure medicine because my blood pressure was something like 104/60!)  But I had trouble continuing to lose weight, I would either lose one pound a month or less, or I would plateau for months on end, or I would even gain. Starches became my comfort foods and boy did I have trouble not eating them. I was putting away food like there was no tomorrow.

Dr. Lewis is right when he talks about the dangers of obesity. It's scary the damage it can do to your body. When women hit menopause, their risk of an MI (heart attack) is EQUAL to that of a man's risk. No joke, the protective effects of estrogen just go away, your estrogen levels plummet and you're left hanging out to dry with all the risks. Obesity doesn't help the situation.

Of course  I like having a better slimmer body, but I'm at an age where I have to take care of my health and losing the weight was becoming such a huge problem for me that I was going into a depression. Back when I started the plant based diet, I thought it would be my "solution" to everything - the cholesterol and the weight. Little did I know. And apparently I wasn't alone, if you go to these plant based forums and websites, people are struggling. "Volume eating" is a huge problem. I think it's the carbiness of the diet. You can't live on just vegetables and salads, so if  you do Eat to Live, it's nuts providing the calories; if you do Forks Over Knives, it's starches that form the bulk of the diet. Pick your poison, if you have a history of disordered eating or binge eating or weight gain, it's a struggle.  

I don't remember how I happened on the 5BD, I just went Googling one day looking for a "solution." I was desperate because heart disease runs in my family and I wanted the weight on my body GONE. And I can't stop doing a plant based diet or my cholesterol will go up and I'll end up on statins. So I felt stuck. Don't get me wrong - I love the food I can eat on a whole food plant based diet, I've always enjoyed cooking, and changing my diet didn't change that. But I felt like what was supposed to be my "solution" had been a dead end in terms of my weight loss. So I was pretty freaked out. I couldn't change  my diet but I couldn't  lose weight!  What do you DO?  And somehow I ended up at the Gregory Mantell YouTube video and was blown away by what Dr. Lewis said.

If you're young, lose it now. Trust me, it doesn't get easier as you get older. Do it for the cardioprotective effects, the blood pressure effects of carrying less weight around on your body, and if you have a lot to lose, your cholesterol should drop as well.

Michael Pollan in one of his books has said, "Eat mostly plants, and not too much of them."  The majority of the population is on a fast track to the operating room for stents and bypass grafts or chemo and RT for cancer, and this diet offers probably the fastest way to veer off that course and get started on a new and healthier life.  Calorie restriction is a burgeoning science and the more research they do, the more they conclude that the less you eat, the more health protective and longevity promoting your life will be. And you don't have to eat only plant based to do it and improve your health. You're talking about 10 tablespoons a day of food. 2/3 of a cup of food every day. That's nothing. Eat whatever you want, the changes will come. Dr. Lewis documented in his practice changes in cholesterol, in B.P., in diabetes. It's not enough food to make a difference, but JUST DO IT AND GET IT OVER WITH.

White knuckle it for three days but do it. It is so worth it!

Okay was that long winded enough for you.  Sorry! You don't have to read it all!  pale

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  blessed2bme on Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:19 pm

Hey are there any newbies still around?? Today really is my first day. Im looking for all of the support i can get.

blessed2bme

Back to top Go down

Post  ButterscotchLove on Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:40 pm

blessed2bme wrote:Hey are there any newbies still around?? Today really is my first day. Im looking for all of the support i can get.

How did Day 1 and 2 go for you???? I cannot wait to hear your about your progress?

ButterscotchLove

Back to top Go down

Today is my first day

Post  streat150 on Fri May 01, 2015 5:55 pm

Today is my first day on this diet (this time). I'm really excited to get started. I have tryed it before and didn't stick with it. I plan to, at times, modify the diet to work for me. I will sometimes eat 5 bites of banana for breakfast, plus 5 bites for lunch and supper. Does anybody else do this? I could also use any tips that would make it a little easier. I have also been watching some youtube videos for tips when I have time.

streat150

Back to top Go down

Post  Platinumbodyperformance on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:57 pm

I try to make myself to start and never success to make. Just need some motivation for start and I did not find it jet. I think I will start next week.
Platinumbodyperformance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top