30 Days of Low Carb 5 Bites...

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 30 Days of Low Carb 5 Bites...

Post  Snow White on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:06 pm

Marc,
The water retention and lack of being able to use the restroom are most definitely the culprits! I had a terrible time highlighted in my journal about the constipation. I tried everything to force myself to regulate and then I gave up on that. I came to the conclusion that with eating so little food, your body just doesn't have a lot of waste to get rid of. You can and will still lose even if you don't go to the bathroom, but I believe drinking the water is crucial. You are doing great and we are all very proud of your weight loss!!!

I would like to start charting like you are doing, but I'm going to start on Monday once all of my "eating situations" are out of the way. It will then give a much more clear picture of just what this diet can do.
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Thanks!

Post  16Again on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Thank you both for your compassion and encouragement.

I'm with you all for the long haul (well, I hope the short haul, really). But, even when I finish, I'll be here to cheer everyone on to rousing victories.

That's the beauty of this community; something I think the Doc's missing over at his Slimming Station.
Over there, even if you're successful and were of a mind to give aid and comfort, by the end of a year you'd have to pay another subscription fee, just to help out.

Again, thanks.

Blessings,

Marc

P.S. ElleBella, I'm hailing from Los Angeles.
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:57 am

Your welcome.. we are in the same time zone..so Good evening .. Very Happy
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Okay, I'm Here to Stay -- And Will Be...

Post  16Again on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:26 am

If "Brevity is the Soul of Wit," I'm witless jocolor Please read this Loooong Post, anyway.

I am here. I'm here for me. I am here for you.

This IS the diet I'm going to use to get down to my ideal weight. I'm motivated. My will-power is strong...

... for now. I say this because I know I'm not perfect (though I have every "good intention" to be.)

I've debated with myself whether or not to even write this post for over two hours; started it, re-worded it, scrapped it, and started over.

What I really want to say is I want ALL OF US to Succeed. For ALL OF US to become exceedingly comfortable, relative to the fine and fun foods we put into our bodies... FOR LIFE!

I have a suggestion for anyone finding themselves a little crazy and frustrated with the stop-start phenomenon this diet seems to lend itself to. When I say "crazy/frustrated" I'm judging no one. I left this diet when I was becoming the KING of CRAZY. I started buying books on self-hypnosis just to make it through a weekend(they didn't work). I went to a licensed NeuroLinguistic Programmer, and that carried me through a Friday night, but not Saturday or Sunday (bye-bye $80.00 Embarassed ).

It probably sounds like I'm stalling here, and with good reason... I don't want to be left here all by myself if, in fact my suggestion sounds too good.

Anyway, this morning I found myself wondering what happened to some of the folks who had been here my last go-'round: Dmac, teaismyhappyplace, Insanity, and Spryng. Had they succeeded and just stopped coming?

Well, I found Spryng's semi-official "sign-off" and I must give the lady credit for diligence (she lost 35 lbs in 9 months... and was 10 lbs away from her ultimate goal. Now 9 months to do what Doc Lewis convinced us was Do-able in a month or two shows True Gumption, in my opinion. That is "stick-to-it-iveness!!" What she wrote (and my follow-up thinking) is the point of this post.

She found another (far less strict) "PORTION CONTROL" diet, with far less potential for guilt and beating oneself up. I went to it's website and, having read the whole home page, I can absolutely see why this is going to be a breeze for her, because she worked so hard, over here. And yes it promises MUCH SLOWER (but consistent) weight loss (around a pound per week).

Now before I send everyone running over there, MY THOUGHTS...

If at any time we find ourselves frustrated/crazy about food while OVER HERE, we might use the SYSTEM over there as our fail-safe/fallback position -- portion control. We would still post here, our successes and slip-ups (the "5 Bite" slip-ups becoming a No-Guilt step over there). We maintain our community -- I know. I know. Big Words from a guy who's back for less than a week.

If Nothing Else, it is a Brilliant Plan which we should ALL use to our GOOD, when it comes time for "Maintenance"!!! One of the Crazy-Making Problems I wrestled with: "What'll I Do Then?"

[And specifically, you ElleBella(Deb), you are the final domino tipping me in favor of sharing this. You're so up-front about not being medically able to follow THIS PLAN. I couldn't learn this and NOT tell it.]

Anyway, it's called the "No S Diet." This is from the home page:
There are just three rules and one exception:

* No Snacks
* No Sweets
* No Seconds

Except (sometimes) on days that start with "S" [-- Meaning Saturdays, Sundays, and Special Days/Occasions.]
Here's the Link: No S Diet

He's very generous in providing his information. You'll know the whole of the Plan by reading this home page (with some follow-up in the "Discussions" I'd imagine. He did write a book and sells it. He's fairly anti-Low-Carb, but his views there don't sway me.

I only hope this provides Food for Thought and maybe some help in the tough times.

In fact, as I finish this challenge to the very Last Day (July 17th) I will MOST likely do TWO Challenges back-to-back and pick that up for "Maintenance."

Still, as "5 Bite" boosters, I hope we remain here for Love and Encouragement.

Blessings (and "Whew!"),

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:28 am

Wow Marc.. truely spoken Yay cheers .. I love your honesty.. and I know all about the No S Diet.. it does work.. I have a friend that is doing it right now..she loves it and has lost 48 lbs as of last week.. in only 5 months.. She told me she eats 3 full plates.. walks her but off and bikes everywhere.. and the weight is falling off.. I read the whole thing and thought about doing it but thought I might not handle no snacking when I wanted to.. truthfully that is exactly what I am doing now.. 3 full meals.. minimal to no snacks.. lol.. Im shifting a bit on the calories as it helps to foul the metabolism.. I will stay here and support all even along with you.. Very Happy
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:09 am

Hello everyone,

I'm so sorry I fell off the grid for a few days. My parents visit was very busy and I was not on my diet strictly, however I did gain a few pound here and there. I am not back on the diet full force and hopefully by the 17 will have lost at least 17lbs. One can only hope, as a female, that the scale will show that. My mom lost like 2lbs while my step father lost 5lbs not changing their diet but we have stairs in our home and they are not use to that kind of exercise. They left on Thursday and yesterday I spent the day with a friend of mine so I didn't have time to really reply to everyone. So today is a new day. I have not eaten or drank anything as of yet. I plan to go do my exercise then have my breakfast tea. Tomorrow(sunday) I plan to do my fasting to continue preparing, I did not do it while they were here as they do not under stand our ritual fasting. I did continue to exercise which is why I think I did not gain a ton of weight while they were here.

Day 01 186.6
Day 13 190.0 I think it's day 13th my day's are screwed up
that's a 3.4lb gain, which I'm sure will be gone by Tuesday.

Marc I appreciate your suggesting but I'm not good with sweets. You have to remember we are woman and certain times of the month all we want is chocolate Very Happy The one thing I love about this diet is my 5 bites can consist of anything I want and also if I were to go back to eating full plates I would just gain. My best diets have been vlcd to get the weight off. Once we have lost the weight, as you know, we can then maintain with any diet that best fits us. I appreciate you support and look forward to continuing this journey with you and the girls. If you would like to in corporate your new way of dieting with the five bite or just doing that No S diet and posting weight here I would love to see the difference. i can't wait to see your results. You are a better person than me if you can give those 3 S up. I think the no seconds I can handle but the other two not so much. Oh btw my sister lives in Barstow California and we are a huge lakers fan over here... My family is originally from Orville California..

Snow white keep up the good work girl. Happy b-day to your dh..

Debbie-- good job girly. How did you car turn out. Isn't your dh coming in soon? How are you feeling?
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi all.. I am totally on plan..Im thinking about my snacking issues..and the NoSdiet.. I think im going to try it for one week and see if I can do it.. Ok Mark.. Im in.. as I am already eating 3 meals.. I just need to curve the snacking.. bounce As Im not going to WI but once a week now.. next friday I will see how I did. Cheers!
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:51 pm

Hi everyone (July 17th, Here we come!!)

Day 00 = (-0.0) = 00.0 lbs lost. Current Weight: 215.0 lbs (pre-challenge)
Day 01 = (-2.7) = 02.7 lbs lost. Current Weight: 212.3 lbs (Start Weight)
Day 02 = (-2.2) = 04.9 lbs lost. Current Weight: 210.1 lbs (Challenge Day 2)
Day 03 = (+0.1) = 04.8 lbs lost. Current Weight: 210.2 lbs (Challenge Day 3)
Day 04 = (-3.1) = 07.9 lbs lost. Current Weight: 207.1 lbs (Challenge Day 4)

Elle, I'm glad you're up and slamming!! Just remember: We are all of us Stronger than we KNOW until we need to be. Even then WE ARE STRONGER THAN THAT, Because NOTHING has demanded that we SHOW OUR FULL STRENGTH... just enough to do the hardest stuff So Far.

mommieof2: I'm sorry. I must have been unclear.

When I said, "This IS the diet I'm going to use to get down to my ideal weight."... I MEANT the "5 Bite Diet." Not the "No S Diet."

I only posted about the other as an alternative for if things get choppy and zany in the real world. As I've been reading through the journals here, I keep reading how when people "go over" their 5 bites they kind of beat themselves up. Even when it's for something special like a Date Night with a DH or DC's birthday.

Because the "No S Diet" is portion controlled (albeit, at a larger "portion"), we could use it as a stop-gap from slipping out of control the moment AFTER the 6th bite (like, "Okay, THIS plateful, but NO Seconds."). We could also plan ahead. "This one Meal" or "This one Day," becomes the EXCEPTION "S" Special Day. And on that (those) day(s) we'll be getting a glimpse of how we'll survive Post-5-Bites.

Also, from what I understood on his site, Sweets are Allowed (even as Snacks) on "S"aturdays and "S"undays and "S"pecial Days. I would consider that the AF days would be "S"pecial Days when ladies need Nurture and Self-Care. So, really, NO DAY is bad when you're loving yourself.

But, it's great to see you committed to 5 Bites for the (hopefully) "S"hort Haul. Getting there is where we all want to be.

Blessings,

Marc

Snow White (?) Smile

16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:20 pm

I like the idea of the No S Plan for days when there are celebrations involving food b/c this has been my downfall! : ))))) And yes, I have beaten myself up pretty badly about it. But one thing I have modeled here is that I share when I screw up, I share when I'm planning to screw up, etc. I keep it real and don't just fall off the grid. Well, I did once for a couple of weeks but I try to stay pretty consistent with posting even if I'm ashamed or hate what I'm posting. I believe in this community and want to continue to strengthen it. Another who fell away was Alexis and I miss her dearly. She was a true warrior and lost 20 pounds in a month. We are building connections here with people who are helping us cope with getting through this and when we lose them I feel true hurt. I just want people to know that it's ok if you're not perfect, no one is and we're here to support you no matter what! : )))))))))))

As far as the No S Plan, taking off on Sat. & Sun. would be my downfall b/c my insulin resistance is so high that I can easily gain 7 pounds in two days. But I like the idea of it as a maintenance plan or as a special occasion plan.

I also want to mention here that there is some special magic that happens to the hungerstat after 14 days of complete compliance...which is something worth looking forward to.

Marc, congratulations on your stellar weight loss!!! Laughing

Debbie, glad you are on plan! Laughing

Michelle, so glad you are back and don't worry about that gain, it's not that bad and you'll have that off in no time! Laughing
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:08 pm

Hee hee Marc.. I got that .. I was just saying I was in for the NoS diet as I need to eat 3 squares.. hee hee.. Great job you are doing! cheers

Snow.. you are doing so excellent with being here.. you are so sweet and honest and motivating.. I thank you for that.. xo

Michelle- Doing ever so fine girl!

Im still on plan.. happy with today.. lunch is all I have eaten but I am getting hungry.. dinner is just around the corner so this is good. bounce

Stay on what ever plan your on.. sunny
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm

On the road to July 17th!!

(Well, really a "Sitting by the Side of the Road -- no progress -- But moving again Today!)

Day 05 = (-1.0) = 08.9 lbs lost. Current Weight: 206.1 lbs (Challenge Day 5)
Day 06 = (+2.0) = 06.9 lbs lost. Current Weight: 208.1 lbs (Challenge Day 6)

Well, yesterday was worse than a "wash." I'm up two pounds, today. Trying to make yesterday a "No S Diet" -- "Exception Day" (see "Check-in Thread") did me no favors as far as the 5 Bite Diet is concerned. I now know I'll only be picking that up for maintenance. Not that I don't believe it will cause weight loss. I'm sure it's very good. But even a day of it COUNTERACTS the Hungerstat Setting I was comfortable with.

I'm NOT hungry now and 5 Bites will suffice at Lunch, but I put 3/4s of a pound of food in me yesterday. THAT, combined with what Hasn't yet evacuated (and probably some of the water which remained inside to move those nutrients around) showing up as a "GAIN" does nothing for my Happiness.

I'm also, now, planning to NOT SKIP any 5 Bite meals. Friday's unintended Fast was okay as I wasn't hungry and didn't think about food for even a moment. Skipping Saturday's dinner, on the other hand, was a conscious choice to kind of replicate the success of the day before. I was hungry, but I skipped the meal and it gave me only a One Pound Loss the following morning.

And I was Very Hungry Sunday morning, so I'll take it in stride as a "Learning Day," and let it stand.

Tomorrow the weight will regulate down, and even if I only lose 2 lbs and restart from Saturday's weight, I see only smooth sailing from here.

Blessings,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Marc, 7 pounds in 6 days is a lot to be happy about! You are doing great! Keep on going MIGHTY WARRIOR!!!!! Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:54 am

Thanks Snow.

You are so RIGHT!

Here's to US keeping our eyes on the PRIZE.!! bounce bounce bounce bounce cheers

Oh, and isn't the Chart cool?

Blessings,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:03 am

And for our Ladies (and Gents) of the Northern Climes,

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Blessings,

Marc

16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:11 am

Thank you Mark.. very kind you.!! I agree with snow..7 lbs in a week is great work.. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:32 am

hello all,

Marc thanks for the well wishes.. and I agree with snow 7lbs in 6 days is really good. Look at us we take one step forward and two steps back but we keep moving up that hill.. It's the way you finish the game, right.. Keep up the good work.

Snow you will soon figure out what's happening to make you stall and you will be on a down hill loss to 165.. You can do it. We all just have to stick together and keep on encouraging.. (sorry I've been away but I'm back now things have calmed down here)

Debbie, I hope you had a great Canada day.. I also hope your feeling better now that your diet is getting better.

As for me. I've been fasting since Sunday today is the last day and it's back to normal until this Sunday and I do believe after next week we will start our 30 day fast.

Day 01 186.6
Day 16 185.6
so that's a 1lbs loss in 16 days not to great but a loss is a loss.
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Thank you honey,

We will all be here for you on this amazing 30 day fast you are doing.. Respect darling.. sunny

I know some people are very againts the snickers meals but I am one that loves them.. 1. no liver upset 2. easy no thinking and 3. they are soooooo good..lol Anyways I know how NOT healthy they are so be kind to me.. k.. Razz

B) nothing
L) half of a snicker bar (saving other half for later) tea with half and half
D) 3 bites meatballs.. potatoe salad.. oh dear .. unexpected bbq.. blew it all.. sorry

WI
Day 1 203.3
Day 16 201.00 2.3lbs

have a great day all.. xo

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Update..

I blew it.. I was not home and so hungry I ate way to much when I got home.. bomb it..k.. tomorrow is a stay at home day I can control.. sorry all!

Cheers.. have a great night!
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:46 am

Debbie, it is what it is, just pick yourself up and dust yourself off, today is a new day and you can do it.. We all have slip ups but look at all the things you have accomplished in your life and the things you have fought to make yourself better. You can do this and get control of it for sure.

Just want to throw this out there, I know that most of us have not stuck to the lc 5 bite for me it's because I really enjoy my carbs and find that if I'm going to take 5lbs only I want some carbs to be in it. I am still on a down hill loss now but I'm so not doing low carb so I think this challenge is just another 30 day 5 bite challenge. I didn't realize the lc would be that difficult for me.I also find not having to read all the labels of what's lc, low fat, and high protein helps me. I just eat what I want. Anyway to all still in this challenge just think of it as another 30 day challenge that is coming to a close.

As for me today is a no fast day for me so my five bites will be normal times today.

Day 01 186.6
Day 17 183.2

total loss 3.4lbs so far today. I'm getting close to being out of the 180's YAY MEEEEE bounce bounce bounce cheers

I know we are all capable of losing if we stick to our guns(no punt intended).. Just eat as the good doctor has ordered.

Okay here's to another day of 5 biting..
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:48 pm

You are almost there honey.. Yay cheers

Thank you but now Im having a different thought.. I posted it on my journal.. just another rant..lol.. but dear to my heart.. have a super day all.

B) tea and 5 bites crackers with cheese
L) 10 bites corn tortilla wrap
D)planned .. fish and rice

Day 17 201.8 up .8

Every one have a great day!!
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Day 18
201.00 lost the .8... yay

Hope you are all having a great day.. cheers!
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 am

Hello all, I have went up a lb but that's expected with not using the wash room aside from voiding, I also took Reactin last night, which for some reason, always makes me swell.

Day 01 186.6
Day 19 184.3

so that's a 1lb gain and a 2.3lb loss on this challenge. I can't say this has been a very good month for me as far as weight loss but, I have not gain back the 20 some odd pounds I have loss.

Debbie I'm sure you will be down below 200 soon. I know you said you may want to diet slower so you will see that weight drop soon.
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi folks,

Sorry to have dropped off the map for a few days.

I'm getting over a wee bit of a car accident from Tuesday. Nothing broken, thankfully.

Still, I've been laid-up in bed (and alas, at the door of the refrigerator Sad ) for four days.

I've Lost my LOSS. I got on the scale at 214.1 this morning. So Sad here's my new, (AND IMPROVED) Challenge Start. July 17th is now only TEN DAYS away. I'm going to continue my chart (a bit chagrined, I assure you) because it SHOWS "movement" and movement means LIFE.

Day 05 = (-1.0) = 08.9 lbs lost. Current Weight: 206.1 lbs (Challenge Day 5)
Day 06 = (+2.0) = 06.9 lbs lost. Current Weight 208.1 lbs (Challenge Day 6)
Day 07 = (+?.0) = 0?.? lbs lost. Current Weight: ???.? lbs (Challenge Day 7)
Day 08 = (+?.0) = 0?.? lbs lost. Current Weight: ???.? lbs (Challenge Day 8 )
Day 09 = (+?.0) = 0?.? lbs lost. Current Weight: ???.? lbs (Challenge Day 9)
Day 10 = (+6.0) = 01.7 lbs GAIN. Current Weight: 214.1 lbs (Challenge Day 10)

I'll catch up with my reading all your journals (I see we've added some folks,... nice) and be roaring again in no time. You folks are my accountability.

Blessings,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  ElleBella on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Ahhh honey.. are you really ok.. What a not so nice week.. Thank goodness you are ok.. Hope your car is ok to eeek....Good for you getting back on plan..Cheers! Very Happy
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:35 pm

So sorry to hear about the accident and very glad you are better! You can focus now, so just keep going! We fall down, we get up! : )))))))))))))))))))
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Oh, yeah

Post  16Again on Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:57 am

Thanks Elle and Snow,

Like that Chumbawamba song says:

We'll be singing
When we're winning
We'll be singing

I get knocked down
But I get up again
You're never going to keep me down