Hi, I'm new

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi, I'm new

Post  amu82 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:25 am

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker on this forum for some time, and I finally decided to order the book and try this diet. I finished the book yesterday, and I'm ready to start the diet tomorrow, Nov 30th. I'm not terribly overweight, but I need to lose about 15 pounds to put me at a bmi of 18.5. Does any one have any experience with using this diet for only losing a little bit amount? Will it come off just as fast as if there was a lot more weight to lose?

It so happens that my scale just broke so I think I will just stick to using my clothing as an indication of the weight I'm losing. Right now I'm a 6-8 pant size and my goal is to get to a loose fitting 4. I'm 5'6 height. I'm going to record my daily food intake in the journals section, I'm going to try to do it everyday, to keep myself accountable. I hope everyone feels free to give tips or ask questions.

Tomorrow is going to be my first day, but I have a dinner party to go to in the evening, and unfortunately I can't back out. Does any one have any tips on how to eat very little without it being completely obvious? I thought of just figuring out how much a portion of 5 bites would look like and then cutting it into teeny tiny pieces, but that brings me to my next question, how big are your typical bites? I know we're supposed to use a snicker bars as a way to measure, but the thing is that it usually takes me about 8 bites to finish a snickers bar so I don't quite know how to incorporate the actual size of the bites...any tips?

Thanks for any help you can give, and I'm so glad to be here!

amu82

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi, I'm new

Post  spryng on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Welcome Amu82!!

As far as I've seen the weight may come off a little slower for those already in a healthy BMI but it will come off so don't be discouraged. And about the size of bites, I really think it's different for everyone, as you said you can eat a snickers in 8 bites, well I can eat one in 3-4 lol so I don't use a snicker bar as my size guage... I just use a regular fork or spoon and take my regular normal bites, not big ones but not tiny ones either where I'll be starving right after a meal. So just take a bite that is comfortable to you and enjoy Smile I think your idea at the dinner party sounds good, just break up the pieces, eat slowly, push around your food so it looks like you've eaten more than you have, I've even used stomach issues as a excuse if someone actually notices and of course they wont push food on you if your stomach is having problems so just find what works for you. Social enviroments are the hardest so just stay strong and if you end up eating too much, no worries! just get right back on your next 5 bite meal, can't wait to follow your progress!!! Oh btw how much do you weigh now??
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  amu82 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi Spryng, thanks for your reply. I'm about 125 pounds right now. Ideally I would like to get down to 110, I know it's a little less than I need to be, but I want to allow myself some room, so that when I incorporate more bites, I can still maintain an ideal weight.

I've been reading your posts and I love how supportive you are in all your replies, that's part of the reason I decided to join this forum - so I could have a group of people who understand it's perfectly healthy to eat small portions, and it's ok to be skinny. As a side note, I've noticed that people seem to watch you more when you lose weight. I have a friend who lost 20 pounds recently though diet and excercise, and she's very skinny now, and i feel so bad for her because people are constnatly looking at what she eats to make sure she's eating "enough". I think she looks great and shouldn't care what other people think, hopefully I can take my own advice and not succumb to pressure to eat eat eat, especially at tonights dinner.

amu82

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Well we know Dr Lewis thinks it's perfectly healthy to be at a 18.5 bmi so yeah, we understand that all too well here Smile My mom has been the same way, she knows I'm on this diet and she's constantly telling me I don't need to lose anymore weight and watches what I eat too, drives me nuts! When she told me I shouldn't lose another lb I said I still have 30 lbs to go! and she about choked on her soda she was drinking, lol but I'm a size 10 right now and my goal is 115 but I kinda have a size goal like you, I want to be a loose comfy 4 as well so I have lots more weight to lose to get there and I hope she just understands and lays off me because I'm so determined this time to do it! I'm 31 with 4 kids and I don't want to hear, oh you look good for your age, or you look good for having 4 kids, I just want to look good and feel as good as I look so I'm on this journey until that happens Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  amu82 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 pm

So yesterday was supposed to be my first day but everyone was on my case last night at the dinner party about eating so "little" so I just decided to start today. Hopefully after I'm on this plan for a while I will have enough willpower to just ignore the food pushers. So today December 1st will be my first day. I don't have a scale right now, so I will be using my pants as a way of measuring my progress. I have a pair of size 4 pants right now that barely zip up and show a muffin top, so I'm hoping that by the end of this week they will be somewhat looser.

Does any one have experience doing this plan while leading a very active social life? I have a lot of friends with bdays around this time of year, plus it's the holiday season so lots of invites to parties, and I really don't want to have to keep defending my eating each time I go out, although I have noticed that people seem to get on my case more, when they feel like THEY are the ones eating too much. Any one else notice that? Any way, I'm trying to find a way to just have fun and enjoy myself, while sticking to this plan. I guess I'm going to have to master the art of shoving food around my plate....

amu82

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:08 pm

I think starting today is a great idea! I started Aug 1st and starting on the 1st of a month makes it so much easier to keep tabs on how long you've been on plan Smile Also the first 3-4 days are the toughest so you need to be able to start with at least 3-4 days of no social events because you'll be more likely to cave as your hunger/energy/ etc is all really effected those first few days but once you get past that and your hunger thermostat is reset (what we like to call your stomach shrinking even though it never actually physically shrinks) you'll have renewed energy and your hunger will be normal again and much more maneageable so you'll have better will power at those events.
But even if you fumble some through the end of this month don't despair or give up, you'll still be ahead of the game come Jan 1st so keep that in mind. I think this month will be tough for ALL of us and I don't see one person being perfect on this plan during these holidays so know you're in good company, we just keep trying everyday and hopefully Jan 1st it's smooth sailing for awhile Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  amu82 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:37 pm

that's true. it feels good to remember that everyone will be dealing with social pressures until the new year. makes me feel less alone Smile

I don't have anything else planned until saturday night, so that gives me 2.5 days to get somewhat adjusted. We'll see how I do!

amu82

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Welcome amu82
Social pressure got to me last night as well and I have a party Saturday to get thru also social events are the hardest thing for me right now but spryng is right this month is going to be extra difficult but its worth it even if everyday isn't perfect. Nice to meat ya best of luck
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum