My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

Post  jgraston on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:08 pm

spryng wrote:that is so fascinating! I love the science behind anything. I wonder though when science doesn't meet results? Like for me, I'll need to find out my bmr etc but I was on the MRC diet last year and per them they guarenteed I'd lose 3+ lbs each week (it was about 500 calories a day of low carb only) the first week I lost 4 lbs then it drastically went down.. I was on it for a month and I'd have like 1 lb one week, 1/2 lb the next week and I was following it perfectly! They couldn't understand it, I couldn't understand it and it ended up frustrating me so much that I quit but I was already out over 1000 bucks for the plan, meetings and supplements... sigh.. my body never follows science. Also I tend to lose inches faster than lbs.. I would love to know why that is too. Not that I'm complaining, a loss either way is good. But how can your waist get smaller and not your number on the scale?? ok and here is a silly off the wall question, I bought some of that vitamin water, well it has 6 carbs per serving (2.5 servings per bottle) but no calories? how can you have carbs but no calories?? seems fishy to me so I didn't drink it. LOL ok didn't mean to get off the subject but I'm really looking forward to the hunger and gastric emptying science you talked about Smile And is that theory we've been told about if you are having hunger pangs it's really your body eating it's own fat stores? or is that something dr oz made up to make oprah feel better about being hungry, LOL

To answer your other questions... I promise I wasn't ignoring them.

As far as why you did not lose weight at MRC, I'd need a lot more information before I could postulate on that. Low carb is a very general term to begin with, and combining that with an extreme caloric deficit would greatly offset leptin levels, and quite a few other hormones. Unless the protein level was sufficient to ensure the staving of catabolism I would worry that you were literally burning muscle and storing fat. That being said, I'm not ditching on their program or their centers. I'm saying that I do not think their plan is really 'designed' for anyone who is not MORBIDLY obese. There is NO such thing as a One Sized Fits All Diet, not even this one.

As to why you lost inches and not pounds? You are likely losing both, the fact is that fat is not as dense as muscle so losing a POUND of fat takes more inches off your body than had you dropped a pound of say, lean body mass or fluids. You could also be looking at a plateau as well, but that is a can of worms we have NOWHERE near enough information to open. However, MOST people would just say, "You have just gained that much muscle." To that I say, if it were that easy to build muscle and lose fat, I'd be Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime.

As for the carbs vs calories thing with the Vitamin Water Zero, it looks to be like they are using large quantities of both Truvia and a small quantity of Fructose. The reason they show no calories is that Truvia is a sweetener MADE by Coca Cola Brand. The carbs in the Truvia come from Erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol that has 0.2 kilocalories per gram. Since there are (I'm going based on their label and the US Labeling Laws) 3g of Erythritol and 1g of Fructose (4 calories per gram) you would be looking at 4.8 calories per serving. Labeling laws allow companies to NOT list calories if they are less than 5 per serving. So, does it have calories? Yes, about 4.8 per serving. The sweetener doesn't both me, the deceptive labeling does. People will drink this believing it to be ZERO calorie, which it is not. People will drink a LOT of it, and sabotage themselves. Moreover, excess consumption of Truvia is commonly known to INDUCE sugar cravings. Ugh, I'm getting off my soapbox. They are evil at Coke.. evil geniuses.

Now, since you asked for science, this is the ONE reason I like Erythritol better than other Artificial Sweeteners; Erythritol is mostly absorbed in the bloodstream in the small intestine and then excreted UNCHANGED in your urine. Most other sweeteners will hit your large intestine first, this can cause a laxative effect. Finally, since Erythritol cannot be metabolized by oral bacteria, it is tooth friendly. Some of the other artificial sweeteners are not.

Ok, I am at work.. 10 minutes after.. you better love me.

Headed home,
Josh
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 pm

Oh I am LOVING all this info! it just makes so much sense! Coke, evil geniuses, cracked me up! LMAO! and I'm glad to get your thoughts on the vitamin water, I had a feeling it wasn't truly calorie free. I'm gonna stick to my water and green tea. I LOVE my green tea.
So may I ask another question? How do you retain all this knowledge??!!! LOL you got it down! it's amazing Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Quick Update:

6:30pm - Extreme Hunger Pangs, Slight Dizziness, Mild Nauseous
- This is probably the worst I've felt so far, but that tends to also indicate that the 3 day diet-detox (as I call it) is coming to an end.

spryng wrote:Oh I am LOVING all this info! it just makes so much sense! Coke, evil geniuses, cracked me up! LMAO! and I'm glad to get your thoughts on the vitamin water, I had a feeling it wasn't truly calorie free. I'm gonna stick to my water and green tea. I LOVE my green tea.
So may I ask another question? How do you retain all this knowledge??!!! LOL you got it down! it's amazing Smile

I've always been one to question anything I'm told. Early on in my weight loss journey I was faced with two people I greatly trusted giving me VERY conflicting information regarding diet and nutrition. Both people were well educated, both in great physical shape, but both could not be right on this particular issue. Or could they? So I set out to research on my own. Now, anytime a question comes up, I research it. Over the years I've learned where to search for what, and what sites not to trust.

In addition, for a couple years I worked as a Supplement Company Board Representative for a couple of major weight loss supplement companies. I mainly answered questions about products, but eventually I was lucky enough to have input on formulations. It was during this timeframe that I really started to look into nutrition and fitness.

Some days it is a curse though. I'm a 370+ pound man, most people would not take advice from me if I paid them. The fact is, I understand the science of fitness and weight loss better than most, but I (like most of us) have issues with food that were long unresolved. However, I spent a great deal of time working on that too.

So now, I'm on a quest to get to my goal weight and then help others do the same.

jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  shnookie on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:52 am

From reading your journal I have learned so much. I have a question that I know you have an answer to Smile , I decided to get back to exercising after a week of being on the 5BD, I know that now I will not be losing as fast as I did on my first week but I dont mind as long as I do not gain and lose the little that I do I am happy with that! My question is, is it possible to lose weight while exercising and eating extremely fewer calories? I read somewhere that if you eat too little and you exercise it makes you gain weight affraid
shnookie

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:19 pm

shnookie wrote:From reading your journal I have learned so much. I have a question that I know you have an answer to Smile , I decided to get back to exercising after a week of being on the 5BD, I know that now I will not be losing as fast as I did on my first week but I dont mind as long as I do not gain and lose the little that I do I am happy with that! My question is, is it possible to lose weight while exercising and eating extremely fewer calories? I read somewhere that if you eat too little and you exercise it makes you gain weight affraid

Shnookie, it is very possible to lose weight while doing some light exercise and injesting lower calories. However, at a certain point you will reach a stage where there are no longer any benefits. This also depends on your body type (endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph), what type of food you are injesting on the 5BD (protein, carbs, fat), what type of exercise you mean (high rep low weight lifting, low rep high weight lifting, circuit training, cardio only).

Here is what I plan on doing when it comes to exercise.
- Week 1 - No exercise
- Week 2 - Light cardio (Walking 3x this week)
- Week 3 - Increase cardio (Walking 2x, Tennis 1x)
- Week 4 - Add in weight training (High Rep Low Weight)

At the end of that four weeks I will monitor my bodyweight, strength, soreness and current losses and adjust as neccesary. I doubt I will ever be a 'gym rat' for as long as I am doing 5BD. The reason? You don't HAVE to be. The 5BD is a caloric-deficit-centeric diet.

That being said, SOME exercise is a good idea, as it can help boost your base metabolism levels.

Did that answer your question ok? It is kind of hard to give a precise answer to a very general question.
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:54 pm

B: Water
L: Snickers (5 bites)
D: Reese's Fast Break (4 bites) , Scrambled Eggs (1 bite)
H20: 116 ounces
NCB: 48 ounces

Day 4 Updates -
Starting Weight: 387.5
Current Weight: 370.4
Overall Loss: 17.1 pounds

I'm pretty excited, I figured I would break out of the 380s in the first week, but didn't think I'd go under 370. Ok, well, I kind of did, but I didn't want to be too cocky.

My fluid intake LOOKS high, but when you consider that the Institute of Medicine recommends that men consume roughly 3.0 liters and women consume 2.2 a day. However, this very basic guidelines to not take into effect the water lost during exercise, sleep, or due to various dieuretic products (caffeine being the most common). I actually aim to be between 4-6 liters of LIQUID per day (I include Non-Caloric Beverages in my totals, as youc an see).

The plan for today is to have a 5 bite lunch with the girlfriend at Qdoba. We will probably be cooking something for dinner, and so no candy bars today. For fun though, why don't we look at what I'm thinking of eating at Qdoba! I'm including a comparison between nutritional values between this meal and a standard snickers bar.

Snicker's Nutritionals wrote:
Weight: 2.07 ounces (This is important)
Calories - 280
Protein - 4
Fat - 14
Carbs - 35

Qdoba Nutritionals wrote:
Weight: 2.09 ounces
Calories - 180
Protein - 11
Fat - 11
Carbs - 8

Do you see the glaring difference? Both items have the same weight, but ENTIRELY different caloric makeups. I will still be taking just my five bites, so it may be that those five bites are a tad more or less than one whole taco. I've considered tearing off the top of the taco shell and just having two little meat/cheese/sour cream strips of taco, but I'm trying to make this diet as social as possible. So for now, I'll stick with five bites and figure out how much I ate.

I do think that I need to stick with a Non-Snickers food for at least one of my meals, as I do not think with just Snickers I am getting nearly enough protein. If anything, I will probably put the carbs earlier in the day when I need them, and do more of a fat/protein meal later in the evening (limited to five bites of course). This will kind of passively address some of protein issues I mentioned in a previous post.

jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Just a super quick note/question for YOU guys.

- Have you experienced a dramatic change in bowel movements since starting the 5BD? I'm asking because I've noticed that I'm having more liquidity in that department.

- When you get hungry, do you still get headaches? I'm on Day 4 and the "Hunger Pangs" have stopped, by my head is still a dull throb.
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:31 pm

I just want you to know that you inspired me to restart right now! I was off the diet for 7 days but needed motivation and found it here in this journal! I love all your info on everything. Thanks and good luck

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 pm

ewhetstone, so glad to see you back!!! Smile

As far as bowel movements, well I experiance less of them for sure as less needs to be processed but they seem the same? maybe its all the liquid you take in effecting it? No more headaches here, I think they finally stopped for good around day 5 so hopefully yours will be gone soon as well. 17.1 lbs is amazing!!!! you are the incredible shrinking man, LOL

spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I have an evening home alone with the girlfriend so I won't be on here tonight, however, I didn't want anyone to think I disappeared. Tomorrow I'm going to be working on some posts about Hydration, the Hunger Mechanism, the Truth about Starvation Mode (You will all LOVE that one).

Tonight's Dinner is going to be SCRUMPTIOUS. We are making bacon and cheese stuffed burgers. I'm skipping the bun, and I'll talk more about why when we get to my post on Carb Timing. This is one of the topics I WISH we could discuss directly with Dr. Lewis, as I feel like it is a great step to add to his book.

Tomorrow the girlfriend and I are going to go for a nature walk of about 3 miles. She is doing a different nutrition style, but I've customized her plan to fit her situation. I won't get too much into that here, since it is her journey, but I will say that she is also doing well. I think that this may EVENTUALLY lead to a post about Family Support and Dieting and the Social Pressures of eating.

Quick Update:
- Mild Nauseous
- No Dizziness
- Mild, but recurring, headaches
- Lunch went amazing, apparently 5 bites of a Hard Shell Qdoba Taco with Ground Beef, Sour Cream and Cheese is just a touch under a full taco. I threw away the little leftovers immediately after swallowing my 5th bite. I added extra meat to the taco, which brings the entire taco's caloric total to around 220. That is more in line with where I wanted to be. My goal with meals is to stay around both the same weight (2oz) and same caloric range (250-280 preferred).

ewhetstone wrote:
I just want you to know that you inspired me to restart right now! I was off the diet for 7 days but needed motivation and found it here in this journal! I love all your info on everything. Thanks and good luck

I am so happy I was able to help get you remotivated, that is the very reason I joined this forum. I could have easily done this at home on my own, but the fact is that the more we all share, the more we learn.

If you need any help in your journey let me know.

spryng wrote:

ewhetstone, so glad to see you back!!!

As far as bowel movements, well I experiance less of them for sure as less needs to be processed but they seem the same? maybe its all the liquid you take in effecting it? No more headaches here, I think they finally stopped for good around day 5 so hopefully yours will be gone soon as well. 17.1 lbs is amazing!!!! you are the incredible shrinking man, LOL

It could be that with the amount of food I am taking in there is very little waste, period. Combined with the excess liquid consumption as well.

Incredible Shrinking Man? I like that. Now I just have to keep it up for the next 100 or so days to hit my first HUGE goal.
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:59 pm

I can't wait for your posts tomorrow! especially on hunger and the starvation mode, things I've always wondered about for sure and your dinner tonight sounds awesome! And do elaborate on the carb timing because anything that might help me lose faster I'm all ears since I lose weight so slowly, maybe it will help me as well Smile
My husband is doing his own thing too diet-wise. He is an over the road truck driver so stopping to eat nutritional meals are tough for him so he has been doing low carb during the week and then takes the weekends off which does influence me at times because I feel left out of the social eating too so I totally understand how family dynamics play a role in weight loss success. But he's 100% supportive of me and this diet so that does go a long way with me.
Well I'll be with ya the next 100 or so days for sure. According to my little graph I made for myself I won't be at goal until mid Feb so I'll be here, counting down the days, LOL and of course I can't wait to journal maintenance on a plan like this. I have no idea how that is gonna work but I'm excited to get there. Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:50 pm

You are doing awesome!! Congrats on sticking with it. That can be the hardest thing once you start!

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:27 pm

Day 5 Updates -
Current Weight: 368.0
Overall Loss: 19.5 pounds

Friday's Food (Final):
L: Qdoba Hard Shell Taco with Sour Cream, Double Ground Beef and Cheese. (5 bites) **
D: Bacon and Cheese Stuffed Ground Chuck Burger ***
H20: 100 ounces
NCB: 52 ounces

** Threw away leftovers.
*** Fed leftovers to dogs.
**** Saved leftovers.
Well, what can I say. 19.5 pounds so far, you can't argue with those results.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still having some issues with diarrhea, but after looking more at the food intakes I'm thinking that it was a corollary between sugar and diarrhea. Changes in diet often come with some gastrointestinal issues for a few days, so I will monitor it and adjust as needed.

Hunger still seems to be striking right around 9:30-10:00pm. Last night they were so bad I ended up slowly drinking 20 ounces of ice cold water to help with the pangs.

Nauseous is gone upon waking this morning, dizziness was gone last night, sore muscles are gone. I won't really know about what I call the 'head fog' until I try to write one of my research posts later today. study

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING: SCIENCE TALK AHEAD

As requested, here are my thoughts on carbohydrate timing as it pertains to the 5 Bite Diet. I will also share general information, but I want to focus on how it pertains to us.

If you are interested in learning the basics of what carbohydrates are and how they work (makeup, purpose, breakdown), I would start by checking out wikipedia. I was going to post some links, but apparently I'm not allowed. Ugh!

Typically, Carbohydrates are best handled during two times of the day. I call these windows of perfection. Normally these windows are: 1) First thing in the morning when the body has undergone a complete lack of carbohydrates (assuming you didn't wake up and eat). 2) Immediately before or after an activity which requires a surplus of readily available energy.

For us, point 1 is very irrelevant. Since Dr. Lewis designed this diet to exclude breakfast, we can take that out of the equation. One day when I am feeling REALLY frisky I will post about why I believe this recommendation was made from a scientific standpoint. However, because I can't stand to withhold knowledge. My non-researched and just initial thought about this is that the increase in metabolism (around 8-10%) is not sufficient to justify taking the body out of its fasted state.

This fasted state is called Catabolism. Catabolism is the state in which your body begins to break down polysaccharides (sugars), lipids (fats), nucleic acids and proteins (muscle) to provide energy to your body while you sleep (or fast). For years people have been trying to figure out how to AVOID catabolism during diets, primarily to help stave off muscle loss. However, Catabolism is a double edged sword, because you are potentially burning muscle but ALSO burning fat.

Most dieters do not want to lose fat. However, most dieters also never reach their goal weight. While it IS possible to continually gain muscle and lose fat, the two operate under entirely different principles. If you are in a caloric surplus you gain (fat and/or muscle), if you are in a caloric deficit you lose (fat and muscle). While this is a drastic oversimplification of the process, I think it shows that you can't have your cake and eat it too. Now, when people start weight training for the first time, or after a long abscence, there is some muscle growth initially, I commonly refer to this as 'free newbie muscle'.

Ok, so to review:
- Carbs are best first thing in the morning and before/right after activity.
- When we sleep (or fast) our body begans to turn catabolic. Burning our fat and potentially muscle.
- Since we do not eat breakfast, we are likely losing SOME muscle during the Five Bite Diet.

Now, I did not want to get into the entire fat vs. muscle vs. water loss in this post, so we'll get back on track. But let me close this section of the post by saying it makes a lot more sense to risk a little muscle and lose the fat a lot faster. Adding muscle mass can be done later. :-)

OK OK OK, so now, how does this all apply to us.
- We eat two meals, mine are at 11:30am and 7:00-7:30pm.
- I'm primarily active during the daytime.
- Since I do not work out (yet) on the 5BD, I have no occasions that require fast carbs (i.e. Items high in sugar or with a high GI index)
- Since in the evenings I am always at home with the girlfriend/kids, I have no occasions that require fast carbs.
- During my primarily active time (daytime), I will eat carbs with my 11:30am meal. However, choosing to focus on a lower GI carb (oatmeal, rice, beans, pasta, etc) ensures that there is no insulin spike and less likely of a chance that there will be an overflow of carbs that become stored as fat.
- Since I am not active in the evenings, there is a minimal need for carbs (aside from the Brain's need for glucose, which CAN be converted from protein/fats). Therefore my evening meals will focus on healthy fats and lean proteins.
- Here is where it gets cool. Since more of my calories in the evenings come from protein, it actually will help to stave off muscle LOSS during the process.
- Now, if I start (or you start) heavily lifting or working out during 5BD, then you will want to make sure all starchy and sugary carbs should be included only during/after exercise if at all. Veggies and fruits (5:1 serving ratio) could be eaten at additional meals.

Does this make sense? I'm writing at 9am on a Saturday and I'm trying to keep this as understandable as possible while maintaining the integrity of the data.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now on to the plan for today (I know, right, this guy never shuts up). The girlfriend twisted her knee last night so we are going to push out our walks for a day or two. I'm happy to report my girlfriend is already down 5 pounds since Thursday, and is doing great on her plan as well.

Today she is making me a nice breakfast of fried eggs, bacon and sausage. I'm going to obviously on eat five bites, but my goal is to get a bit of each of the items on every bite, lol. I'll also be looking at adding a little carbs into that meal. Probably toast or a biscuit, I'm not sure yet. No clue what is for dinner tonight, we'll be going shopping later (we are out of TP!) and find out.

I'll probably be consuming more liquids overall today, as I tend to sip a lot at home.

Ok, I've rambled so much I don't even remember what I intended to write about.

Have a great day everyone!
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  shnookie on Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Your journal is sooooo soooo sooooo inspiring
shnookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:39 pm

19.5 in 5 days you are an animal congratulations Jason. ow ya love your new picture
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:31 pm

Ran into a slight issue. Before I go into it, I did not let it effect my 5 bites for lunch. At lunch the girlfriend made me a breakfast wrap with eggs/sausage/cheese/sour cream. I took a bite, it tasted just.. off. I couldn't swallow it. I spat it out. I checked the date on the eggs and they were expired, so I tossed them. I cooked up just a quick hamburger from last night, just to have my food on time. I melted some cheese over top and had some ketchup/mustard. I took a bite, it tasted off. I couldn't swallow it.

At this point I'm wondering WTF is up with my body. I came to sit on the couch and started doing a mental checklist. I didn't feel hot, I wasn't shaky, I wasn't even really hungry, I had some slight heartburn though. I ended up deciding to grab one of my bars instead. I grabbed a Milky Way Dark chocolate bar and ate it slowly (5 bites). I was able to swallow it with NO problem.

I'm trying to decide the most logical solution as to why this occurred. I could take the easy way out and just say that my body was craving chocolate, but I am not a man of excuses. I decided to clean out our utility room today, and got pretty worked up. I was surprised, I was POURING sweat, just cleaning (picking up trash, sweeping, carrying baskets of clothes up and down a couple steps. I wasn't tired, just HOT and sweaty. After sitting down and relaxing for a bit I feel fine. I will be doing some research to see if I can find a link between extreme-caloric deficits and well, what do we even call this, inability to swallow things not including influxes of sugar and the correlation between body temperature and caloric deficit. More on this later, possibly not for a few days though because I just don't have the time to read through scientific studies as much as I'd like.

I am glad you are all enjoying my journal. I know I can be a bit, hmm, wordy, but in the end this journal is my place to share and grow.. and I don't do anything half-assed.

Dmac wrote:19.5 in 5 days you are an animal congratulations Jason. ow ya love your new picture

Haha, everyone always calls me Jason for some reason, it is Josh. Thanks for the compliment bro! That was a picture from a while back of me and the little lady. I won't be posting ANY new pictures until I hit my 4 week weighin. However, I can already see a difference, so it should be a good set of pictures. :-D

Shnookie wrote:Your journal is sooooo soooo sooooo inspiring

I can only inspire those ready to be inspired. :-D
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 pm

I read this on a fitness site about calorie restriction and muscle loss. 2 guys did an experiment on soldiers, they severely restricted their calories and sleep and had them work out strenuously. The results in a nutshell: If you have 5% body fat for a man and 10% body fat for a woman you are not at risk of losing an muscle whatsoever. It is much easier for your body to eat fat than eat muscle. The site is called fitnessblackbook.com if you would like to read it for yourself!
I was happy to see that because I don't want to lose muscle, so obviously I don't need to worry my body can live off the fat of the land for quite some time!

Josh, you are doing quite amazing!

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 am

ewhetstone wrote:I read this on a fitness site about calorie restriction and muscle loss. 2 guys did an experiment on soldiers, they severely restricted their calories and sleep and had them work out strenuously. The results in a nutshell: If you have 5% body fat for a man and 10% body fat for a woman you are not at risk of losing an muscle whatsoever. It is much easier for your body to eat fat than eat muscle. The site is called fitnessblackbook.com if you would like to read it for yourself!
I was happy to see that because I don't want to lose muscle, so obviously I don't need to worry my body can live off the fat of the land for quite some time!

Josh, you are doing quite amazing!

I've requested a full copy of the actual study from a friend. I see a few pretty big holes in the study, but I won't start poking at it until I have it in front of me. That is the problem with modern science. Unless a study's parameters are perfectly set, it is VERY inapplicable to the normal man. That being said, once I get the full data I'll give you an in-depth review of it and we'll go from there.

I'm also going to book an appointment to get a BodPod bodyfat test here in town, that way we can use.. ME.. as a guinea pig!

Josh
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:49 pm

Day 6 Updates -
Current Weight: 364.4
Overall Loss: 23.1 pounds

Saturday's Food (Final):
L: Milky Way Dark
D: Hot Dog with Ketchup
H20: 72 ounces

Yesterday, I was MISERABLE. I felt great until breakfast, when I couldn't eat either my eggs or hamburger, so I went with the Milky Way. I felt ok then until about 2pm when I decided to be sweet and like super clean the laundry room. I got overheated, I was pouring sweat like no other. I showered off, shaved the beard (Normally this would be sad, but I kept some sideburns). I felt ok again until about 4pm, when I got REALLY nauseous and had to go lie in bed for a bit. Finally, I decided to have FOUR almonds (totaling about 20 calories) and I felt ok a bit. I don't know if I just overdid it, or if I had a 24 hour bug, or if this was just the last 'transition pain'.

I'm hopeful tomorrow I can drop another 1.9 pounds, to make it an even 25 pounds. Probably won't be on much today since I need to finish homework (going to school, working, dieting and having a family tends to make me a busy boy).

jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Dude, congratulations on your loss so far!!!! AWESOME work! Your journal entries are so interesting to read...please keep 'em up!!! (Yeah, that's selfish, but you entertain me!)

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:50 pm

SaltyDog wrote:Dude, congratulations on your loss so far!!!! AWESOME work! Your journal entries are so interesting to read...please keep 'em up!!! (Yeah, that's selfish, but you entertain me!)

I post as much here for you guys as I do for me. This is like my eighth weight loss rodeo, so I CAN do it on my own, BUT it is always easier with support. The Vikings are playing and my girl is cuddly, so I won't be posting much until tomorrow. Have a great weekend and keep to the plan!
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Day 7 Updates -
Current Weight: 365.2
Overall Loss: 22.3 pounds

Official Week 1 Loss: 22.3

Now, I actually gained about 8 ounces yesterday. I have a feeling this could be for a couple of reasons: 1) I didn't quite hit water yesterday, 2) Instead of any Snickers bars I had two actual meals that I took 5 bites of each. I think that for now I will only do 1 meal type and 1 snickers/milky way.

Also, I will only be weighing in once a week. The first week I weighed in daily in an effort to make sure I was staying on track. However, I feel that continuing to do so will end up with me obsessed with the scale. The fact is, I KNOW that if I follow the plan, I will lose weight. I don't need to weigh-in every day to be reassured of that. Also, because days like today when you don't lose or gain can bum you out. I will be honest, I was bummed. Bummed I had lost ONLY 22.3 pounds this week. Crazy huh?

Sunday's Food (Final):
L: Hot Dog with Chili/Cheese and Ketchup (Next time removing chili and cheese) (5 bites, but think the bites may have been too big)
D: Taco Bell 5 Layer Burrito (5 bites)
H20: 60 ounces
NCB: 72 ounces

I will be posting more from work! Have a great day guys!
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:14 pm

congrats on the 22.3 lbs down! that is more than just amazing!!!! I think it might have inspired my husband to try this plan too! He was talking about trying it friday of this week so we'll see Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:21 pm

spryng wrote:congrats on the 22.3 lbs down! that is more than just amazing!!!! I think it might have inspired my husband to try this plan too! He was talking about trying it friday of this week so we'll see Smile

Thanks so much! Your husband should try it too! I think it would be amazing for you both to be on it!
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I feel like a bad Josh, not being on much for the weekend. Well, I'd like to make up for it. Are you ready? Are you SURE?

Monday's Food (Final):
B: Water/Zero Calorie Energy Drink
L: Twix Peanut Butter (5 bites)
D: Homemade Tacos (Low Carb High Fiber Wrap, Ground Chuck, Taco Seasoning, Sour Cream, Refried Beans, Mild Sauce) (5 bites)
H20: 90 ounces

I had a good day, and noticed my calves are REALLY starting to pop. I might take a photo or two of my legs, just to mark progress. It SUCKS not weighing in today, but I have a solid understanding of the science behind this diet so I feel secure in trusting the science.

Today I'd actually like to discuss something I stumbled across when I was working on my post regarding hunger mechanism.

WARNING: LONG AND SCIENCE-FILLED READ AHEAD

Now, this is actually what is called the hCG diet protocol. For those who do not know, hCG stands for Human chorionic gonadotropin (so we'll just call it hCG). hCG is a glycoprotein (ADVANCED SCIENCE note: a protein which contains oligosaccharide chains (glycans) covalently attached to polypeptide side-chains.glycoprotein) that is produced in females during pregnancy. It is also something both sexes produce in their pituitary gland at all ages. To greatly oversimplify its role in the body, it is tied to hormone production and control.

However, British endocrinolgist A. Simeons discovered in the process of studying Indian Women and Overweight Males with pituitary issues that low-doses of hCG, combined with a severe caloric deficit caused his patients to both lose fat and gain muscle. The reasoning was that the hCG was re-programming our brain (hypothalamus) to protect a non-existant developing fetus by forcing the body to mobilize and use excess fat deposits. He combined a 125 IU (a low dosage) of hCG injections with a 500 calorie diet for the purposes of his studies.

Below is the diet recommended (before we move on):

Breakfast:
Tea or coffee in any quantity without sugar. Only one tablespoonful of milk allowed in 24 hours. Saccharin or Stevia may be used.

Lunch:
1. 100 grams of veal, beef, chicken breast, fresh white fish, lobster, crab, or shrimp. All visible fat must be carefully removed before cooking, and the meat must be weighed raw. It must be boiled or grilled without additional fat. Salmon, eel, tuna, herring, dried or pickled fish are not allowed. The chicken breast must be removed from the bird.
2. One type of vegetable only to be chosen from the following: spinach, chard, chicory, beet-greens, green salad, tomatoes, celery, fennel, onions, red radishes, cucumbers, asparagus, cabbage.
3. One breadstick (grissino) or one Melba toast.
4. An apple, orange, or a handful of strawberries or one-half grapefruit.

Dinner :
The same four choices as lunch (above.)

After Simeons died, Kevin Trudeau (famed INFOMERCIAL salesman and felon) popularized both the diets and the drug. Initially, hCG was primarily offered via injections, however since hCG 'drops' have become greatly prevalent, mainly due to their reduced cost and increased availability.

Since the drug's rise to fame, studies have come forth both showing that hCG's usage as a weight loss aid is debatable. It does seem to have a strong correlation between hunger levels and mood, as well as increases in lean body mass (primarily in older males).

The Journal of the American Medical Association and the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition have concluded that hCG is neither safe nor effective. However, it continues to be readily available.

END OF SCIENCE RANT

Now, here are my thoughts, broken down into a nice little bullet list.
- Having an unregulated hormone be readily available is neither safe nor ethical.
- The methods used in the study each had flaws, so I do not believe there is a real way to KNOW for sure if hCG is effective.
- Their diet isn't as fun as ours!

That all being said, I think there is something to look at there. While our dietary methods are based on bites and timing (as well as the fundamental science behind gastric emptying and the hunger mechanism), the caloric intake is around the same range. So, I beg the question to you guys.... are the folks who RAVE about hCG just succeeding because they are doing a bastardized 5 bite diet?

I am a BIG advocate of sharing knowledge, so below I have listed a BUNCH of resources if you care to learn more about this. However, if not, they at least show I'm not just talking out my ass. LOL.

References:
Simeons ATW. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:946-947, 1954.
Asher WL, Harper HW. Effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin on weight loss, hunger and feeling of well-being. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 26:211–218, 1973.
Bosch B and others. Human chorionic gonadotrophin and weight loss. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. South African Medical Journal 77:185–189, 1990.
Carne S. The action of chorionic gonadotrophin in the obese. Lancet 2:1282–1284, 1961.
Craig LS and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in the treatment of obese women. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 12:230–234, 1963.
Frank BW. The use of chorionic gonadotrophin hormone in the treatment of obesity. A double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 14:133–136, 1964.
Greenway FL, Bray GA. Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity: a critical assessment of the Simeons method. West Journal of Medicine 127:461–463, 1977.
Shetty KR, Kalkhoff RK. Human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) treatment of obesity. Archives of Internal Medicine 137:151-155, 1977.
Lebon P. Treatment of overweight patients with chorionic gonadotrophin: follow-up study. Journal of the American Geriatric Society 14:116–125, 1966.
Lijesen GK and others. The effect of human chorionic gonadotrophin (HCG) in the treatment of obesity by means of the Simeons therapy: a criteria-based meta-analysis. British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 49:237–243, 1995.
Miller R, Schneiderman LJ. A clinical study of the use of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction. Journal of Family Practice 4:445–448, 1977.
Stein MR and others. Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotrophin in weight reduction: a double-blind study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 29:940–948, 1976.
Young RL and others. Chorionic gonadotrophin in weight control. A double-blind crossover study. JAMA 236:2495–2497, 1976.
Mirkin G. Getting Thin. Boston: Little Brown & Co., 1983.
American College of Bariatric Physicians. Position statement: Use of HCG in the treatment of obesity. Approved Dec 2009.

Have a great day all, time to haunt your journals!

Josh
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum