SaltyDogs 5 Gnaw Journal....

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SaltyDogs 5 Gnaw Journal....

Post  SaltyDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:42 pm

Quick re-cap: 4 years ago I lost 140 and kept off for 2 years. Got laid off from job which sent me down an ugly spiral of the blues and since then have put 50 back on. AIN'T GONNA BE 51! So off we go......

B: nothing
L: 5 grapes (they were huge)
D: 5 bites roasted chicken
Water: 96 oz

I learned in my previous weight loss that drinking at least 80 oz of water a day was a HUGE help in keeping the hungries away and truly helped me lose, so I'm gonna log it on here to make sure I stay liquid!

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Re: SaltyDogs 5 Gnaw Journal....

Post  spryng on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:35 pm

I agree with the fluid intake! it really does help me between meals and to get to lunch each day. Not sure how much I drink though. I drink about 2 glasses of water and probably 8-10 of green tea, I really like green tea, LOL
So what are your stats? how tall are you? what is your starting weight? goal weight?
I'm 5'4 and my starting weight was 168.6 and I'm currently 162.2 from last weeks weigh in, I'll weigh tomorrow or sunday for this weeks. My goal weight was 130 but after seeing dr lewis suggestion of 108 well it did inspire me! So now I'm thinking 115 sounds great. I was 130ish about 6-7 years ago I guess... I can't even remember being 115, I kinda blew past that when I started gaining weight so quickly after marriage 13 years ago. So 115 sounds new and exciting and I can't wait! Can you imagine all our family and friends faces when they see us on thanksgiving?? they aren't gonna believe their eyes! That is so motivating and exciting too!
Well good luck on day two for you! keep up the great work! Were you starving by dinner time with only having grapes for lunch? I've been staying away from fruit and light veggies because I'm so afraid I'd be so hungry afterwards.. how did you feel?
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:07 pm

I was worried about having just the grapes, but I wasn't really hungry anyway and they were handy, so I grabbed them. I don't think I'll do that often tho'.
You posted elsewhere that your loss has slowed over the past couple of weeks. Let me pass along a few things I learned while on the MF program that worked for me. Vary what you are eating. If you tend to eat the same 5 bites day after day, your body 'gets used to it' and won't lose. Not only what, but the calorie count. If you eat 'lean' 5-6 days a week, try a food with a higher calorie count a day or two during the week--pizza or something hefty. This caloric spike will get your bodies engine running. When I hit plateaus, I did this one day a week and it was amazing how just a few more calories would do the trick. It keeps your body guessing. If that doesn't work, it could be carbs. If alllll the bites you are eating are carb heavy, maybe a couple of days you could try eating low carb/high protein. Just a couple of suggestions!

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Those are great ideas! I did try the higher caloric meal last sunday and it backfired.. I put on over a lb and took me days to get it back off so I won't try that again but I think the lean less carby bites sound good. I'll see what my final weigh in is this week and adjust accordingly for sure.
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:16 am

Oy. I guess the bump in calories did not work out well for you, Spryng! Sorry 'bout that.....

It's my birthday today!!!! YAY!!!!! My meal choices reflect a little celebration food that I normally would not eat. But hey....it's my BIRTHDAY!!!!!

B: 5 bites Biscuit with Sausage Gravy (holy smokes, was it good...but ONLY 5 bites!)
L: coffee...(breakfast was more like brunch)
D: 5 bites Chocolate Chip Cookie (my substitution for birthday cake!)
H2o: YES!

After 2 days, I'm already down 8 lbs! ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 pm

That is amazing!!!! Keep up the great work!!! and happy bday!!! I am so impressed that you stuck to the 5 bites on a special day like that!!! it encourages me more than you know!
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:53 pm

I just kept remembering how I want to look by Thanksgiving! No extra bites is worth giving that up......

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:47 am

So true! lets rip the bandaid off dieting and be done with it once and for all!!! Smile

what size are you right now? what size do you think you'll be at goal?

I'm a 14 right now but with my shorts falling off I tried on some old 12's in my closet and they fit! So I guess I'm a 12 now.. I'm not sure what 115 will be for me which is myysterious and exciting, LOL 130ish is a comfy 8 for me so 120 should be a comfy 6 so I'm thinking 115 would be a 4/6? guess Ill find out when I get there, LOL
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Forgot to log my bites for yesterday (8/21)

B: coffee/water
L: 5 bites PB&J Sammich (1 bite shy of a 1/2 a sammich)
D: 5 bites Pulled chicken w/Roasted Tomatoes and Onions
H2o: 100 oz

Haven't lost anything these past two days, but MAN my clothes are fitting completely differently. I've lost 8lbs in these first 4 days and am currently in a size 14 jean and they are loose! By next weekend, I might be into my 12's. I used to wear a size 6 and want to get back to those. I still have them in my closet and refused, these past two years, to get rid of them b/c that felt like giving up to me. I'm so glad I didn't, b/c on the 5BD I truly know I am getting them back on. Woohooooo!!!! tongue

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Wow saltydog! You are an inspiration, I'm really excited about this bounce

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 pm

yeah I lost 5.6b lbs the first 3 days on the plan and then my body had to adjust and reset. But the inches were still peeling off so you are gonna do great this week!
I have some size 6's in my closet at well. I wore them about 7 years ago when I started the job I currently have so I can't wait to slide into all those cute tops and pants again Smile Just think about next summer as well, we'll be so ready for bathing suit season! woo hoo! Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 am

YES, Spryng!! Just keep that vision in your head.

B: Coffee/water
L: Snickers bar.......mmmmmmm.
D: 5 bites Mac n Cheese
H2o: 96 oz...

So today was a heavy carb day, so tomorrow I need to eat leaner. The Snickers was planned, the mac n cheese was not. I had planned to eat some roasted chicken, but I was making the mac n cheese for some teens (mine included) and 1 taste led to 4 more. Therefore, my 5 bites were not what I had intended. BUT....I accounted for them and no harm done and I stopped at 5. I just need to eat better food tomorrow. With my clothes fitting me better I can already tell I feel better about myself. The confidence is in my stride again.....

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:37 am

Mmmmm I saw a commercial for mac n cheese last night and it looked so good! pasta is my nemesis, LOL I just love any and all kinds Smile I know what you mean about the confidence coming back. I am wearing cuter outfits these days, fixing my hair prettier and just feeling so much better when we go out, even if its just to the grocery store. My husband said he can tell things are changing for me. I can too. I just feel pretty again even if I've only lost 1 size and 8.2 lbs, I just feel better! I can't wait to see how I feel in 1o lbs, 15 lbs, 30 lbs...wow... so much to look forward to that I ask myself why haven't I just did this all before??! well for one I didn't know about this plan and two I don't think I was ready. I've been bouncing from diet to diet well for the last 13 years but the last 10 months have been especially bad on the yo yo.. a new diet every 3-4 days..that is never good. So here I am 23 days into this plan and it just feels right and the timing is right...

spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:00 pm

And timing is everything. This plan, like any diet or change in lifestyle, takes commitment and discipline and if ya gotta be mentally ready to make those changes. When you are truly ready to change, you'll stick with it. Congratulations on alllll the success so far!!!! Thanksgiving is NOT far away AT ALL! Woohooo!!!!! I love you

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Day 5 and another 1.5 lbs gone....total of 9 1/2lbs. Very Happy

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Doing a happy dance for ya!!!! woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! flower
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Rock on Salty!!

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:19 pm

Once again, I forgot to post my bites yesterday (8/23)

L: 5 Bites Roasted Chicken Sammich w/lettuce and a little mayo
D: 5 Bites Roasted Chicken w/Heirloom tomato and bacon jam (so good, I'm doin' that again tonight!)
h20: 100oz

I had frozen yogurt last night too. I got a low fat flavor and the smallest serving possible, 4oz at 116 calories. We'll see how that affects my weigh in.

It was a tough day yesterday. That 'voice' in my head that tells me to go snack, was VERY present and I wasn't even hungry. That voice or feeling or whatever, is what leads to my mindless and unnecessary snacking and overeating. I literally had to stop and say out loud 'NO, stop it'. What is that??? and how do you quiet that voice??

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Oh I've been there! the week I took the sunday off, I think that was day 14, that few days before I had cravings galore! I wasn't hungry but it was completely mental and it felt physical! I couldn't shake it so that is one of the reasons I took that sunday off.. I didn't go crazy but I ate 3 meals and more than 5 bites and I've been fine ever since. Not saying you need to take a day off but it worked for me. I just could not shake the feeling for some reason. If there are better ways to fight it I'm open to suggestions too but it didn't hurt me at all or set me back really so it worked for me and I'm hoping I don't feel like that again anytime soon Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Ohhhhh, that's a slippery slope with me, Spryng! Laughing I'd be afraid I'd have a hard time getting back to 5 bites! The 'need' stopped, it's just got reallllly tough there that afternoon. Mind over matter!

Yesterday: 8/24
L: 5 bites turkey ham and cheese quesadilla (no tortilla)
D: 5 bites cheeseburger w/bun
H20: 70oz

Ok, I gotta say a first happened for me last night at dinner. I ate 2/3 of a hamburger. Not just because that was my 5 bites, but because I was full. In my old life, I would've polished off that whole burger (and it was a normal size burger, too not ginormous like you get at restaurants) and gone back for more! THAT WAS HUGE!

I lost nothing yesterday, but my first week is over and my grand total for the week 9.5 lbs gone.....yay!

On to week #2! Very Happy

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 pm

AWESOME!!!!!! My goal is 10 lbs my first week, I'm already down 7 and it's only my 4th day. I love that feeling of fullness after 5 bites.

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:10 pm

9.5 in one week is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!! now on to week two, so exciting!

That is a great NSV for ya about the burger. I love how 5 bites are so perfect now. Just enough to feel full and happy. Smile This diet is teaching me so much about food and enjoyment and control. My eyes are now OPEN. Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 am

wah-wahhhhhhhh.....did not have a good day today. Well, not in my mind good.

L: 5 bites Turkey & cheese sammich
D: 7 bites Chicken and Veggie soft taco (I ate the whole dang thing)
5 bites Mexi-rice. Embarassed

I told myself to stop and we sat at the table and continued to chat and I finished my plate. dang. it. = (

Shake that one off and get back on the 5 & 5!

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:20 pm

thats right just shake it off and maybe its exactly what your body needed since you've been battling a few days of cravings etc so maybe you can just put it all behind you now and have a great second week Smile just keep moving forward and you are gonna be just fine Smile
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  ewhetstone on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Salty, you will be totally ok. When I went to brunch this morning I put my plate out of my reach after 5 bites because I was tempted to keep eating although I was full already!
Youare inspiring me so keep up the great work Very Happy At least for me Cool

ewhetstone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top