Oh, to Be 16 Again...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oh, to Be 16 Again...

Post  16Again on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:53 pm

I was always the Fat Kid ("husky" was the term for it back then).

In the hippie-dippy '70s (= flower CHILD), my folks let me live on a working-commune for the summer I turned sixteen. Those of us who didn't have cars formed a little tribe that walked everywhere. Every afternoon we hiked into "Town" over a steep mountain trail called "Cardiac." Every night everyone Folk-danced our butts off (there was no television).

Being the only Fat Person in the community, I limited myself to only One Serving of anything offered -- I felt it would be too embarrassing to load-up or go for seconds (as I would have at home).

In forty eight days I'd lost 55 Pounds. It's amazing to me that I have imagined for all these years that it was only the constant activities of work and play that whittled off all my fat. I thought if only I could find a way to be That Active again I'd finally slim this ol' adult body down. Maybe I just felt too embarrassed to remember how embarrassed I really was. Still, That summer truly was my First (and until Now, ONLY) experiment in "Portion Control."

So, I've decided whether you're all ready for this or not, You ALL get to join me at every meal. Like others, I'm going to post EXACTLY what I eat for each meal. I'm just going to imagine you all sitting with me, and actually Caring about what-all I swallow.

Sunday, 6/5/11 **starting weight: 213**
sleep: 9 hours
Lunch: Nothing (just extending the "fasting" aspect)
Dinner: 2 half-dollar size sausage patties (dusted with cayenne pepper)
All Day: 1 gallon of water
1 Multi-Vitamin/Mineral tablet

I'll weigh myself again next Sunday and report back.

Thank you ALL for joining me for Supper.

Peace,

Marc

16Again

Back to top Go down

Re: Oh, to Be 16 Again...

Post  16Again on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:30 pm

Monday, 6/6/11 **Week's starting weight: 213**
sleep: 8.5 hours
Black Coffee all A.M
Lunch: Nothing again (just extending the "fasting" aspect)
Dinner: 5 Bites Hot dog with bun and Barbeque sauce
All Day: 1.25 gallon of water

My "Weekend Down-fall" approaches. There's yet to be a Friday night when I haven't addictively Binged on into Sunday Morning.

And though I STILL consistently lost weight (4 or 5 days strict/ 2 or 3 days off) I found my Lack of Discipline Discouraging. Especially as I went OFF, while knowing I was missing the chance to slide Straight into my Ideal Weight. How Foolish of me.

I went in search of Something to help. After lots of (probably too much) Soul-Searching, I've come upon a course of Self-Hypnosis that doesn't "FEEL" too cloyingly sweet, and doesn't "Promise" amazing results, just an amazing "Opportunity." And I just Hypnotize ME with my eyes OPEN while I read!

It lets you write your Own Script, which is cool because I had to do a lot of adapting to Fit It to OUR 5 Bite Diet. I'll let you all know how it goes.

This Friday night will be the Acid Test.

Best hopes,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:44 am

Tuesday, 6/7/11 **Week's starting weight: 213**
sleep: 7.5 hours
Black Coffee all A.M
Lunch: I sausage patty
Dinner: 5 Bites Hot dog with bun and Barbeque sauce
All Day: 1 gallon of water
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Wednesday, 6/8/11 **Week's starting weight: 213**
sleep: 9 hours
Black Coffee all A.M
Lunch: Nothing
Dinner: 5 Bites Steak
All Day: 1.5 gallons of water
16Again

Back to top Go down

REDEDICATION

Post  16Again on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Okay time for some 'fessin'-up. I binged HARD yesterday. I feel almost sick from whatever Emotional Bomb I dropped on myself. Can you really gain 10 pounds in one day? CRUD!

By tomorrow, the water (sure to be some of it, because I drank 1.5 gallons, hoping to get ahead of the hunger-pangs -- um, didn't work) will have drained, but dang-it.

So I'm BACK in it, Big-Time.

The cool thing is we're all human. We all blow it. Actually the cool thing is we can all bounce back.

That's the plan.

I've also been reading some (on the web) about "Intermittent Fasting." Actually "The 5 Bite Diet" is a form of it, but because we limit Portions as well as their take on "skipping meals" our results are definitely quicker and more easily predictable. They do have something that Doc Lewis only touches on in the book, and that is "the personal choice" for How Long to fast between meals. It's varied by taste. Some eat in a regimented 4 hour window, daily -- so go 20 hours with out food (just like ours could work). Others eat one day (from 7 AM to 7 PM) and go 36 hours until breakfast, two mornings later -- um, YIKES!

I ONCE skipped my evening meal (going 24 hours 'til my next 5 Bite Lunch). It really wasn't very difficult. And the Doc actually gives the O.K. for this in the book, as long as we "do not 'make up' for a skipped meal by adding extra bites to [our] next meal... You shorten the race by a few steps. Great!" (Lewis, pg. 69)

I think I'm going to try this every Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Any input?

Peace,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 pm

I have been interested in Intermittant Fasting (IF) for quite awhile now. A friend of mine who is very knowledgable about health, fitness, lifting weights, etc., recommended the practice. He recommended the Fast 5 method, which involves eating only during a 5 hour window, for example, only eating between 5pm and 10pm every day, and fasting the other 19 hours. My friend lost fat and gained strength and fitness. He eventually settled into using Fast 5 only 3 days a week and still got good results. He was not overweight to begin with, so I suspect that was why IF-ing every day was too much for him. I tried the Fast 5 method for awhile, and I also briefly tried Alternate Day Fasting. When I came off my Alternate Day Fasting, I ended up binging, so I've been hesitant to try it again.

I was able to lose each time, particularly using the Fast 5 method, but I was not limiting my portions, just going by hunger levels. Over time, I got hungrier and hungrier, and eventually as I ate more and more during my eating window, the weight loss stopped. It seems like no matter WHAT weight loss method I use, I get hungrier and hungrier over time, and eventually binge. Grrrr!

I also find the Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition idea fascinating. I also think it's a great excuse/reason to tell people who may get on our case for eating very little. Studies show that it may extend our lives. 5 Bite is so much easier than counting calories, though. If we're eating at someone else's house or at a restauraunt, there is usually no way of knowing how it was prepared, or no way to measure the exact portion we receive. Can't carry the digital food scale around, it doesn't fit in my purse.
Very Happy

Enough rambling. I think IF can be very beneficial, and I would love to hear how it goes for you. I usually find fasting MUCH easier than merely eating very little.

insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:00 am

That 10 will come off fast you are getting close to being in the 1 hundreds when was the last time u where able to say you where in the 1 hundreds
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 am

Oh yes, Insanity I'll keep you posted. Can I possibly PLEASE pick your brain every once in a while?

Peace,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:07 am

Oh, Yeah Dmac, the 1 Hundreds....

Hmm. 1982... So 29 years?!? (gulp, really? Yeah. Really)

Thanks for dropping in with the pep-talk.

Peace,

Marc
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:37 pm

I'll be glad to help in any way that I can. I found fasting extremly hard at home in the evenings, watching my husband eat. But after he was finished, even if my hunger didn't completely stop, the intense cravings for food went away.
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Hows it going mark. I think your prayers for me worked I'm doing much better thanks u said u gained 10 lbs in 1 day and asked if that was possible. I gained 10 as well and I once gained 15 didn't feel good but it dropped off in like 2 or three days
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum