Fresh Start

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fresh Start

Post  morethanbooks on Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 am

Hello everyone!

I've read a couple of other people's journals and they were really inspiring, and so now I'm here too! I've tried the 5 Bite Diet in the past, but I've never been that sincere about it. I was able to lose ~8 pounds on it around October of last year, and I managed to keep it off till mid January, but the pounds started creeping up again. I had vowed never to see 150 again. Unfortunately, I've broken that promise to myself, several times in fact. But not again!

I'm 5'7 and at the moment, weigh 154.1, but I've been binging all day. That seems to be a big problem of mine, I go strong all day and then 8 o'clock hits and it's like some sort of famished beast emerges, even when I'm not that hungry.

Goals of mine:
140 - we have a big party coming up on the 30th and I'd REALLY like to be down to 140
130 - my aunt is throwing a huge party on memorial day because my cousin is coming back home so I'd love to be down to 130 by then
115 - if I could be 115 by the time of the Harry Potter Premiere (July 15th) I'd be the happiest girl in the world. Well, that might be an exaggeration, but I'd still be thrilled.

Hopefully this is the first of many steps in the right direction. I'll post tomorrow with my weight/ how my first day went!

(I learned in my psychology class that oftentimes, patients report feeling better after their first meeting with their psychologist, even if they don't really discuss anything, just because they feel like they're doing something. I know this isn't therapy or anything, but I think I can related with that sense of positivity, I feel better just knowing that I'm starting to actually do something about my weight. )
Very Happy
morethanbooks

Back to top Go down

Re: Fresh Start

Post  teaismyhappyplace on Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:58 pm

a move in the right direction always makes u feel better and thats what this forum is about! welcome and post often, it really helps to write it down on a page that others will read and take away from. Good luck, stay strong and you will get to ur goals!
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  morethanbooks on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Thank you for the encouragement Tea!

I'm a little concerned that my goals are unrealistic, does it seem like that to anyone else? I'd really appreciate any feedback.

In other news, I'm kind of on a cleanse today. I just ate so much yesterday, so I still felt full this morning/ kind of sick. I weighed myself and according to the scale I am now 152.6. I don't think I can really count that as true weight loss since I first weighed myself last night, and we all weigh more at night.

Wow, 152.6. It's kind of shocking to actually see it written down somewhere. Usually I just say "I'll start my diet tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes. Well everyone, my diet started last night, and it's going to keep going!
morethanbooks

Back to top Go down

this is really long- SORRY!

Post  teaismyhappyplace on Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:09 pm

YES i think that when u accept that day 1 is actually day 1 it really helps. It took me a week or so of being like "ok fine after this dinner the diet starts". no no u have to be like its tuesday, i said i was going to start the diet, alright this lunch was not 5 bites, but i said i was on the diet so dinner will be 5 bites. and then u start and u focus and the next day u skip breakfast cuz its ur second day. etc etc. accept the first day for what it is, and then take it one meal at a time.

also about ur goals- everyone loses weight on this diet differently. some people on this forum lost some 5-10+ lbs in a week, when i only ever seem to max out at 3-5 if im super super strict with no deviations. Also it seems like the heavier you are at the start, the more weight you can lose per day/week. Taking all that into consideration, i think you should do your absolute best for the first week and see how much you actually lose. Also know that in your first week you will lose the MOST weight compared to your other weeks because you will be losing water weight. After your first week of weight loss, I would suggest using that as a goal. If you lost 10 lbs for example (awesome), then maybe each week you should aim realistically for 8 (still awesome). That way the second week, if you lose 7 but you know there was a lunch you shouldnt have had in the middle there you can forgive urself, but know that you can be better. Also, if you went for a run at some point or had some gym time, or skipped out on some meals and lost 9 you know that with a PUSH you can lose 9, but depending on how you felt after doing that you can decide if you want to continue with that regimen and adjust your goal based on what you are capable of. All weight loss is very dependant on the individual. Keep your sodium intake down before u weigh in to keep your data as consistant as possible, but otherwise enjoy urself! People say to weigh in once a week, i can never do that and i weigh in once a day in the morning before is shower, helps to keep me accountable- if i mess up, i know i should stay on the diet to make up for it, if i lost weight then i stay motivated to keep going and have success again tomorrow!

Eat whatever you wish, but dont beat urself up if u stray. its alright, and its part of the learning process, just come back to the diet at the next meal. you can do this, ask any questions u want, we are all here to help and support! you will be a 5 bite pro before you know it.
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  morethanbooks on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 am

I think the getting back on track part is what usually trips me up. Like "well, I already messed up, I may as well splurge even more." But I think I'm going to start looking at it the way you said to when I get on the scale "yay if I lose weight, if I didn't it's time to get my act together."

I know I said that today was going to be a cleanse, but honestly, who was I kidding? I don't think it was too bad:

3 strawberries (50 calories)
3 slices of bread with a little bit of butter (210 calories)

I didn't actually count bites, mostly because I'm not sure how much "a bite" is. Obviously they can be however big or small I make them to be, which is why I put the calories. Maybe I'll stick to food that can be eaten with a fork/spoon, just so I know how many bites it is?

Anyways, I'm off to work, so no more splurging for the night. As of now, I'm just sipping carbonated water, it seems to help since the water still has taste, but it's zero calories. I've read different viewpoints on drinking lots of water. What do the rest of you advise? Should I drink a lot of water to curb my hunger, or should I not because it might stretch my stomach?

morethanbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:50 am

Hi, nice to meet you.

I think it's OK to shoot for quick weight losses, just don't get discouraged and throw in the towel if you don't lose as much as quickly as you'd like.

I tend to really go overboard when I mess up too. teaismyhappyplace has the right idea.

I drink when I'm thirsty, or when I'm hungry. I do drink with meals, usually water or seltzer, and I think the extra volume helps make the 5 bite meals more filling. Otherwise I don't. In the past, I drank way more than I needed. I don't seem to lose weight when I'm drinking a huuuge amount. I love mineral water and flavored seltzer water.

As far as bite size, I take what feels like "big" bites. I usually eat real, healthy food and I'm losing. I would normally eat a Snickers bar in more than 5 bites. You can always try having Snickers for a meal or two. That is supposed to be 5 perfect bites.
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:33 am

Welcome to the site best of luck nice to meet ya
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  morethanbooks on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome Insanity & Dmac, and for the tips!

I was 149.9 this morning, so that's a 2.7 pound loss Very Happy Unfortunately, I've been binging/ cheating. My friend wanted to go out for a late night study snack and I ended up getting a doughnut. My stomach was making these really loud grumbling noises so I couldn't really say "I'm not hungry" since it was so obvious that I was hungry.

I was going strong today, I had a kellogg fiber bar (130 calories) for lunch and some sparkling water. Then it got to afternoon/ evening. I tutor inner city high school students and today was our last session so we decided to have a little party. I had 3 slices of Domino's pizza so that's like 630 calories right there, and then a bunch of m &m's! To top it all off, I really want to go to chik fil-A. And part of me knows that I'm going to end up craving. UNLESS, hmm, the one on campus closes at 7, so if I can just push myself for another half an hour, then I won't really have a choice?

Starting tomorrow (and I really do mean tomorrow, Thursday, April 21st) I'm going to start legitimately counting bites. I think I'm just going to eat the fiber bars like Insanity suggested so that I get a feel for just how much food I'm consuming. I know I'm consuming too much now. Gah!
morethanbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:51 am

welcome more than books!

dont' feel too bad we have all been there. just get back on the wagon and start afresh tomorrow!
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace on Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:58 pm

it happens dude, its hard to start up on the diet, but just trust me when i tell you that it gets better. After a few days on this diet u dont even think about bites anymore and you fall into a pattern. Dont beat urself up over it, just enjoy ur little moment and then come right back to the diet as soon as you are able. good lucK!!
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  morethanbooks on Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:23 pm

I fell off the bandwagon. Like seriously fell off it. But I'm going to get right back on, I even cleared out my kitchen of the annoyingly tempting (even though they're really bad for me and I don't like them that much in hindsight) food. New week, new start!
morethanbooks

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:26 pm

great job! dont u feel liberated now that its out of sight? just get right back on the diet and dont worry about it. Just make sure that you do your best to stay as strict as you can. I kinda had a bad night yesterday as well, but today as been perfect so far. you can do this!
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top