All About Me, Marie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All About Me, Marie

Post  marie.barber on Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi, my name is Marie and I'm 25 years old. I came across the 5 bite diet by accident last year and did it briefly in the summer (for about 2 weeks, I think) with very good results. Then life got in the way and I stopped putting weight loss as a priority. Slowly I regained what I lost. Well, I'm getting married to the love of my life on April 1st and I want my fiance to have the most beautiful bride ever. We are eloping at the courthouse so at least I don't have to worry about fitting into a white gown in front of hundreds of people (I can't imagine how stressful that would be!) but it's still important for me to get down to a weight I'm comfortable at and stay there.

A little about me: I grew up overweight and topped the scales at 173. I'm only 5'6". In college I developed disordered eating and I starved, vomited, and abused laxatives down to about 133. I maintained that for a while, but because I never learned how to eat the "right" way it's been a constant struggle to keep the weight off. My weight fluctuates a Lot- I go through periods of severe restricting followed by obscene over-indulgence. I think I'm at about 145 right now; I've maintained that weight +/- 5lbs or so for the last 4 years. Honestly I haven't owned a scale or weighed myself since last year, and I know from experience that checking my weight constantly as I always did just led me to become obsessed with food and numbers, and I don't want that for myself anymore. So I guess I don't have a goal weight that I'd like to get down to. My perfect number would be 116, but since I don't want to get a scale I'm not really too concerned about that. I guess I just want to diet down to where I feel comfortable in my own skin. When I feel thin and beautiful- that's when I'll stop the diet and start maintenance. I do want to track my progress, of course, so I'll be relying on my measurements to gauge my success. As of this morning I'm 35-27-35.

What I look forward to the most about this diet is not having to think about (read: Obsess about!) food and weight all the time. When I did it this past summer it was So Easy- not to mention so cheap! Even though I'll still be cooking a variety of foods for my fiance I plan on sticking to just a few basic pre-portion controlled meals for myself. (For some reason when I'm dieting I am much more successful if I eat the same things over and over. I wonder why that is?) Anyway, I told him about the 5 bite diet and even though he says I don't need to lose weight, he knows I'm not confident where I'm currently at so he supports me doing this so I can finally feel better about myself.

Right now I'm not exercising regularly, even though I would like to. I used to run but due to a knee injury I'm not allowed to anymore. I still try to run against my doctor's orders, but it's slow going. I'm not even supposed to walk excessively, just what I do in a normal day and nothing extra. I was supposed to have knee surgery but I refused, as my orthopedist couldn't guarantee that my knee would improve. I find that when I try to get back to even a simple walking program it definitely exacerbates my knee pain. From what I've read people who do the 5 bite diet without combining it with exercise seem to have faster weight loss, so I'm not too worried about not exercising at the moment. If I'm finding my weight loss to be slower than what I'd like I'll make it a point to re-commit to at least walking regularly. What I really hope is that by the time I reach my goal I'll be able to run again, as I won't have as my pressure on my knees. That would be a real reward.

Sorry for the long introductory post; I tend to talk a LOT Smile I'll also be starting a 5 bite journal to track my intake and reflections on the diet if anyone wants to follow along and give/get feedback. I've been lurking here for quite some time and all of you seem like such awesome people; I KNOW we're all going to reach our goals! Much luck.

-marie-
marie.barber

http://www.facebook.com/your.lovely.marie

Back to top Go down

Re: All About Me, Marie

Post  Readyforchange on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Marie,

Welcome to the family! We are all here for you if you need anything.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I know what you mean about not thinking about the weight so much as the measurements. I have been exercising a lot with this diet, and while I have been losing weight, it is the inches lost that are truly amazing. I know that if you stick with this, you will see some exciting results.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  marie.barber on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 pm

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, ReadyForChange! I've read many of your posts and you're So inspiring!

I get so motivated when I read about how many pounds everyone is losing, and I feel a bit bad that I won't be able to fill you guys in on my progress in that sense. I do plan on measuring once a week and posting updates in my journal. How long did it take you before you started noticing your weight loss?

-marie-
marie.barber

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:45 am

Marie,

I noticed the first week. I lost about 9 pounds in my initial week and then it slowed down after that. Mainly because I began exercising more consistently. For me, it was very important to cultivate a healthy mindset for when the diet portion of my journey was over. Being consistent with my exercise routine was something that I wanted to make a habit along with portion control. I know that this means my weight loss is going to be a little slower than the rest of the 5 biters on this site, but that is a trade off I am willing to make. I want to be slender and toned. Not just slender.

I have a good feeling about you. I know that you will fly through this diet and show tremendous results. Keep us posted and we will take the journey along with you.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  marie.barber on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence! I was thinking a lot last night about incorporating exercise into my daily routine again. The thing is I just feel better when I move more. In the past I've not done certain exercises because I'm so terrified of how it will negatively impact the numbers on the scale. But you're right; I don't just want to be thin, I want to be thin and lean. Like you Smile I don't find excessive muscles attractive but I think I should get into the cardio routine sooner than I expected. The good news is that I'm not weighing myself at all during this process, so what does it matter if my total pounds lost isn't as great? I won't even know; I'll be too busy celebrating how lean and less fat I am (even though I may be denser due to better bone density and muscle mass).

What kind of exercise routine do you have? Like I said, I personally would not like to have well-defined muscles, just an overall toned look, so I probably will not be using weights or resistance training anytime soon. Maybe as I get closer to my goal size, to spot-improve (as I know you can't spot reduce, but you can become more defined in certain areas than others). For now, I think I'll just stick to cardio. Due to my knee injury it probably won't be running, but I really miss being in a walking program. Have any of you ever tried Walk Away the Pounds? They're really good DVDs by Leslie Sansone. Basically you walk in place at home- that's it! It sounds really boring and for a long time I just thought eww, who does that except 80 year olds? But it's actually really fun and a lot more aerobic than regular walking outside or on a treadmill, as she has you moving your whole body and not just legs. I wear a heart rate monitor and I get a better burn doing a 2 mile watp video than 2 miles on the treadmill, so I might get back into that this week. I'm afraid it might affect my appetite and I'm still pretty hungry (it's only day 3 on the 5BD) so maybe by day 6 or 7 once my food's sorted out I can start up with that again. My goal will be 5 days a week.

Thanks again for the encouragement, ReadyForChange. Let's do this!

-marie-
marie.barber

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:56 pm

Marie,

I exercise 6 days per week. I try to alternate one day just cardio and one day interval cardio with weights. I change what I do frequently because I don't want to get bored. Right now I am doing a hard kettlebell routine on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. This routine lasts about 30 miutes and has me drenched with sweat by the end. Right now I am using a 10 pound kettlebell. I am going to move up to 15 soon. Kettlebells are great because they provide you with excellent intense cardio as well weight training. My body is changing. I am not becoming muslce bound, just toned. I am also walking 3 miles on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My walking is, funny enough, Leslie Sansone's 3 Fast Miles! I love her! She is my tried and true walking buddy. I have used her for years. I have many different walk away the pounds dvds. The 3 Fast Miles lasts for about 45 minutes. She has you walking at a very fast pace and I am covered in sweat by the end. She does get into working the entire body and that is why I like her. I have a rest day on Saturday.

For me, exercise is important. I have so many friends who are thin but not in shape. They get out of breath just walking up the stairs. I don't want that to be me. I want to be healthy, slender, and toned. Exercise, in addition to my diet, will get me there.

I hope this helped.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  marie.barber on Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Oh I'm so excited to meet someone who uses Walk Away The Pounds! You've definitely inspired me to get my DVDs out. I have the 4 mile express walk (60 minutes) which I don't really use too often just because I don't really care for the music, but if I mute it and put on my own CD it's pretty good. I also have a DVD that has 5 of her walks, two 1 miles and three 2 miles. That one's great because it has a 30 minute Walk and Kick workout which I Love!

I've never used kettlebells, but I've heard they give a great workout. I got rid of all my exercise equipment when I moved to Arizona from New York last summer, so I don't really have access to weights anymore Sad There is a gym that I use in my complex which does have a total body weight bench but there are always guys working out on it so I just stick to the treadmill. After I drop some weight I might very well get back into my toning DVDs- The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Yoga and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. If you enjoy working out you should Definitely look into the 30 Day Shred. Honestly, back in NY I used to go to the gym regularly (4 days a week) doing all kinds of kickboxing and strength training classes, and would also do medicine ball workouts at home, but NOTHING kicked my but like the 30DS. Even if you don't use weights with it, it BURNS! I love it Smile
marie.barber

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 am

Marie,

30 Day Shred kicks my butt! I use it when I am short on time because the segments are about 20 minutes long. Jillian rules! She can just be a little hard on my knees at times. I hurt my left one many years ago and it still bothers me at times.

I also use the treadmill. I try and do intervals on it. What I do is warm up for about 3-5 minutes at a slow pace maybe a 3.0 speed and an incline of about 2. Then I ramp up the speed to about 5.0-6.0 with an incline of about 5 and jog or walk really fast for 30 sec to one minute. Then I slow it back down to about 2.5 and walk for about 1 and a half to 2 minutes. Then I start the cycle all over again. By the end I am sweating like crazy. When I have done as much of the cycle as I can take, I cool down for about 5 minutes at a really slow pace. I like it. I feel that it really burns fat.

Do you have the walk away the pounds dvds that use the 2 pound weights? That might be a way for you to do some toning while you are walking. She also has one that uses a stretch band while you walk. That way, you can walk and tone at the same time!

Wow, I thought that I was the only one who liked her! Many of my friends can't seem to see the positive side of her workouts. They think that she is boring. I like her. She works for me.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  marie.barber on Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Are you kidding? I LOVE doing intervals on the treadmill Smile My problem is that I love it a little bit TOO much; I tend to push myself a little too hard, which exacerbates my knee pain and puts me out of commission for a little while. Have you ever considered starting a running program? When you were describing the intervals you do it reminded me so much of a program I've used called Couch to 5k. Basically, it takes someone who can't run at all and over the course of 9 weeks builds up their endurance so that they are able to run for 30 minutes straight, or the equivalent of a 5k. I completed the program the summer before last, and I never thought I'd be able to. I've never been athletic and I'd never run in my whole life, but sure enough after just a couple of months I was going for 30 minutes without breaks. I felt so proud of myself! If you google Couch to 5K you can find the plan, it's just 30 minutes 3 times a week for 9 weeks. It sounds like you are incredibly fit, so you could probably start at week 2 or 3 rather than the very beginning. Gosh, I'm feeling so motivated to run right now! Maybe I'll restart the Couch to 5k in April? I've tried to restart it and similar programs, but my problem is that my cardiorespiratory health is very good whereas my joint health is not; I think "Oh, this is so easy, I can skip through the next couple of workouts to get to something harder." My heart and lungs can handle it but my knee can't, and I just end up hurting myself. If I decide to restart it I'll have to be incredibly careful to start at week one, only run every other day (as recommended) and not skip ahead no matter what. Hopefully if I'm able to do that it will give my knee time to strengthen up and adjust so I can complete the program successfully.

Yep, I love Leslie Sansone! I find her commentary during her walks to be a bit cheesy at times, but I enjoy that. I hate doing DVDs where the instructors take themselves way too seriously. I do indeed have workouts of hers that use the weighted fit balls, though I don't have the balls. What I'll probably end up doing is just filling up two 16oz water bottles and using those as weights. It might be a little ghetto, but it does that job Smile For the last couple of days I've been doing those DVDs but not using any weights. Pretty soon I'll have to pump it up Smile

30 Day Shred! I love Jillian Michaels! Btw, do you watch the Biggest Loser?

Gotta run. Go keep up the good work! Very Happy

-marie-
marie.barber

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 am

Hey Marie,

Sorry about the delay in replying. I am just coming off of being really sick.

I will look into the couch to 5k program. I never thought of becoming a runner. I have had problems with my knee for a long time. I can only run for short amounts of time. When I do intervals I just jog or walk really fast.

I have never seen the biggest loser. I have heard that it is a very inspiring show. Perhaps I will look into it.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top