Why all the hate?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why all the hate?

Post  Everblue on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:32 am

When I first came across a mention of the 5-bite diet, earlier this past week, I did my usual and googled the hell out of it. Wink There was so much vitriol against this diet I was amazed! I admit, it sounded a bit extreme, but I guess that's what appealed to me. But the bottom line is, like Dr. Lewis says, if extreme portion control is good enough for gastric bypass patients - and their bodies have the added task of healing from serious surgery - then why can't it be good enough for us that are obese/overweight and need to finally and for-real lose this weight?!?

So they say to cut calories and lost 1-2 lbs a week. I've tried it their way. Time and time again. It doesn't work for me. And as far as I can tell, the studies show that losing 1-2 lbs per week is more about who is more likely to keep off weight than it being about what is healthiest to do nutrition-wise. The problem is (at least for me) you're still eating large portions, just of different foods, and while that's certainly better for you than the alternative, it's just SO easy to get discouraged, to not lose any weight that week and slip back into old foods. With the 5BD I am learning I don't need as much food as I thought I did, I'm learning that it won't kill me to be hungry, and my stomach is 'shrinking' and needing less than usual to feel full. I am also hoping to learn, after this initial adjustment period, what it feels like to feel that initial fullness, and how to just stop eating until truly hungry again.

Anyway, I think the difference between the 1lb/wk folks and us is the idea of portion control vs healthy foods. And there way is definitely the way to go to maintain a healthy weight - please plan on eating the healthiest foods when you are done, but to get the large amounts of weight off - it's just not as practical.

Also, Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live is what I consider the best, most healthiest way to eat (and, again, I've tried and it's not worked for me, yet) period, and even he says that losing more than 1-2 lbs is perfectly fine and even encouraged. (btw, he also authored a book on fasting. . .)

Which brings me to my other point. There is SO much online about fasting, and juice feasting, and low-low-calorie raw food diets. I think this diet is similar in that it acknowledges that we don't need THAT much food to survive. We are not going on the five-bite diet permanently. We are losing the weight that is dangerous to our health. How can that be bad?

Ok. Rant over. Just what I was thinking about this morning. Smile

Everblue

Back to top Go down

Re: Why all the hate?

Post  twilight*17 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 am

I completely agree with you!! Well said!

twilight*17

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:57 am

Everblue,

I agree with you too! When I was first looking into this diet, it was very hard to find anything positive about it. Then I found the my first blog/forum about it and the positive energy began to flow. I was so excited that I had to try it. I am so glad that I did.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  burbuja on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:08 am

I think that people hate it for a few reasons:

1) It's logical - - people get surgery for this so do the same thing except without the risks! Why don't people get this?
2) It's difficult - - If they can't stick to it, then it must be bad!
3) It's cheap - - No special foods to buy or extra costs involved. People want you to spend money!
4) It's quick - - If friends/haters can't lose their weight, then they want you to struggle for years just like them so you can be fat together
5) It's simple - - Easy and no crazy steps to follow. A diet must be complicated and did I mention expensive?

burbuja

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:58 pm

totally agreed.
we eat much more than we should and thats why we are so much more over weight than we should be.
this diet is not horrible, its just hard, and it looks a lot like an eating disorder so poeple get scared for u- which in turn frightens the dieter!
keep in mind, this is a temporary diet, ur meant to be on this for a little while, lose the weight, and then maintain it. most of the time u just need a little weight loss to get u feeling awesome and then the rest is self propelling motivation.

its not that dangerous as long as u dont make urself crazy and u remember that this is only meant for a short term, u have to go back to being a normal human being at some point after this diet and ull learn what that means by jumping on the scale every morning and noting changes in ur weight up and down and seeing how much u should eat.

teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Hello12 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 am

I totally agree with you, and what really piss me off(sorry for the lang) is saying this will make people anorexic, i mean do these people even know what anorexia is, how it's triggered, ect?? And believe me, you can have an eating disorder of some sort or whatever, but full blown anorexia is wayyy beyond just food control to be thin(take it from some1 who was diagnosed with it at 14..), so when these people start criticizing a diet they did not try, or even have complete info of it, it really annoys me..people are more apt to die of obesity, heart strokes and diabetes than control their food intake for a limited time to restore their digetive system's real capacity, oh n actually reduce the risk of so much health complications, so really what are you losing(besides fat, lol)!And also as soon as you are seen eating a little less than average, or skipping a meal, woww you got an eating disorder, but when u stuff your face of ginormous amounts of food everyday, well you just a normal average person..so go figure.. Mad
Btw, love this forum, its like a big FBD family!after joining the forum am finally seeing the light of day three(something i strived for a week ago..)
So lets stay positive and melt those pounds!!
Love to ya Smile

Hello12

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top