Mindful's daily journal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mindful's daily journal

Post  mindful86 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and new to the diet. I'm receiving the book tomorrow but I wanted to get started as soon as I heard about this way of eating!

Some stats - 28 & female, currently 119 and wanting to get down to 113. I lose weight slowly but I'm not in a rush. I won't follow the diet strictly (i.e. coffee w/creamer in the morning). My intention with the journal is to document how I'm thinking & eating with the hope it helps others. This forum has already been a great support just by being able to read through other posts - so thank you!

Learnings from the weekend (started to ease into this diet on Saturday):
1) You save so much money if you're conscious of portion sizes! A meal that I usually eat alone was 2 meals for me and 1 for my husband (and he's not on this diet at all).
2) We went to a nice restaurant for V-day and although I only ate a few bites (definitely more than 5 though), it was a great experience because I focused more on my dining companion than the food! I also left the restaurant feeling satisfied and without uncomfortable fullness/guilt.

Starting date 2015-02-17
Starting weight: 118.8

Last edited by mindful86 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Re: Mindful's daily journal

Post  JiffaCake on Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:08 pm

All the best, you may lose that weight quickly!!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:43 pm

Thank you so much for the well wishes JiffaCake!

Day 1 went pretty well - need to get better at stopping at 5 bites. I was working from home today so that usually sets me up for overeating but I held strong today. I didn't feel hungry but just kept randomly wanting to eat and wandering into my kitchen.

B: coffee with creamer
L: yogurt w/ fresh strawberries (8 bites)
D: veggie burger on slice of toast w/ hummus + spinach (8 bites)
total = 16 bites

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:40 am

I make a point of staying out of the kitchen and not looking at food!! It helps.

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Good advice JiffaCake.  I tucked all snack-y foods in the pantry so I don't see them as I walk by Smile.

Last night was tough - I was pretty hungry and tempted watching my husband eat cookies. I did smell some chocolate but didn't eat it. I know that I can eat any foods as my bites (no deprivation), just not all at once.

I lost 2 pounds this morning which is fantastic because usually it's easy for me to get to ~118 but harder for me to drop below. Last time it took me 8 weeks to go from 122 to 112 (in 2011) but it looks like I may drop the weight faster this time! Regardless, I feel in control of my eating again compared to this time last week when I was eating loads mindlessly and gaining weight every day.

Today: Busy day at work but I will remember to keep things simple and be awake to the present moment.

W: 116.8 (-2)
B: coffee with creamer
L: 5 bites of cottage cheese with berries
Then 2 hours later, I ate trail mix and peanut butter m&ms. UGH Sad. It was around 800 cals worth too. I was feeling stressed and then started thinking I needed to eat to concentrate and my mind went on & on. And I caved. I haven't eaten anything more so I'm proud of myself for not "eating just because I ate" but still, I need to show more discipline.

Last edited by mindful86 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake on Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:02 pm

Hang in there I promise it gets easier if you are consistent with the size of meals. I am on day 9 and fully capable of walking/running 10k on empty stomach and not feeling hungry till lunchtime. It is really worth just going for it, gritting your teeth and getting the first three days under your belt.

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:40 pm

It really does get easier! Sometimes I think about the huge portions I used to eat and it boggles my mind! affraid

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Yesterday was off-plan. Not only did I overeat during lunch, I overate again during dinner Sad . I'm not going to beat myself up over it (but it is pretty sad that I kinda/sorta lasted only 1 day...) and instead I will focus on today.

W: 117.8 (up 1 pound compared to yesterday)

Today I am going to follow the plan exactly. I think in the youtube video the doctor says to focus on doing the diet perfectly - focus on eating the 5 bites and stopping. Plan - Black coffee, 5 bites of bars for lunch and dinner. I am going to use a fruit and nut bar called a Lara Bar instead of Snickers because I think eating only chocolate may make me feel sick. It's almost as calorie-dense as a Snickers and much more calorie-dense than my usual 5 bites (yogurt/fruit/etc).

Excuses --> Counter-argument
1) I need to eat to concentrate! --> I have more than enough fuel on/in my body to do my work well. The body will breakdown my fat as glucose and I will be able to concentrate. Feelings of hunger are only distracting if I pay attention to it. Let the feelings come and go, no need to act on them. Further, nothing at work is an excuse for poor health; if I have too much to do, I will re-prioritize and do the most important thing and maintain work-life balance.

2). I can eat more and still lose weight --> By following this diet, I am shrinking my stomach and regaining control. This is a training ground for life-long weight control. I can stick with this. No matter what diet I do, there will be hunger while losing weight. I'd rather get this done, shrink my stomach, and move on!

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks for your support JiffaCake and signa. It's so motivating to see how well you both are doing. I know that i need to just get through the first few days and things will get a bit easier!

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Yes that is true, start over, get the first 3 days done and dusted and get the whole thing over with quickly. Apparently it only takes 2 weeks for the stomach to shrink and then overeating is high on impossible!! As Dr Lewis says, wouldn't that be nice?

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:48 am

Thanks JiffaCake - you are so right. I'm working on resetting that hungerstat!

Today went well. I think using the bars really helped because I didn't have to think about what to eat and I could stop more easily. Before eating my bar, I would feel hungry but once I ate it, I realized that 5 bites are really satisfying and I don't need more. The food tasted delicious as well (hunger = best sauce).

B: black coffee
L: lara bar (5 bites = 1 bar)
D: lara bar

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:07 am

Good for you, I find it easier with bars and plan to mostly just do them till I am done. I have some Meals with family and a meal out coming up but otherwise, snickers all the way!!!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Good morning!

Was hoping for a lower weight this morning but I'll take it. Perhaps I needed to make up for the overeating on Wednesday. My husband comes back from a business trip today so I'm going to do 5 bites of whatever we eat starting this weekend (because he won't like the idea of this diet), but will stick to lara bars only today.

W: 116.4

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:02 pm

All the best :-)

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:09 pm

You're doing great, you don't have much to lose and probably not a lot of body fat (lucky you!) cat so maybe you're getting hungrier easier?

I used Larabars b.i.d. exclusively for my first week and lost a little over 10. I keep some around and keep a few in my purse. You never know if you're going to need them! Have a great weekend! Hang in there!

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top