All the way to thin

View previous topic View next topic Go down

All the way to thin

Post  thinmom on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:42 pm

I just wanted to get my journal topic going so that I'll know it's here waiting on me when I finish day 1. The plan is to have a perfect 5-bite day! Smile

(I should go ahead and let everyone know that when I do this diet, I usually allow myself a 5-bite breakfast. This is for various reasons, but mostly as an example to my children, since we eat breakfast as a family. I still lose and "shrink" my stomach just fine doing it this way.)

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 1 of 30

Post  thinmom on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:00 pm

Tues., Jan. 13
Weight: 155.0

Breakfast- 5 bites of oatmeal w/ fruit & chia seeds, unsweetened green tea
Lunch- 5 bites of leftover ratatouille & cheese, unsweetened green tea
Supper- 5 bites of chicken spaghetti and whole wheat roll, stevia-sweetened lemonade
            0 bites of dessert, because I forgot to save one for it!  Smile

I *tried* to drink plenty of water through the day, but I struggle with this.  It makes me so chilled in our cold house!

It was definitely a hard day to start because we had some friends over to celebrate my husband's birthday.  (I had actually forgotten about this when I registered and started a thirty-day commitment yesterday morning!)  I spent the afternoon cooking and baking.  I was very tempted to start "tasting" and just start this tomorrow.  Of course, I'm so thankful now that I kept my commitment for day 1.  And I had a great time last night, focusing on people rather than food!

Last edited by thinmom on Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added start weight)

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Re: All the way to thin

Post  KellBell on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:50 pm

You're doing GREAT! If you can get through all those temptations on day 1 you're definitely going to make it "all the way to thin" Wink !!
I think I'm going to do 5 bites 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks I just feel a lot better until my stomach shrinks, then I will go to the 5 bites 2x per day.
I went from 165 to 162 on day one! So all is going great so far..
Have a great day!!Very Happy
KellBell

Back to top Go down

Day 2 of 30

Post  thinmom on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

Breakfast- 5 bites egg casserole
Lunch- 5 bites beans w/ rice and coleslaw
Supper- 5 bites meatloaf and sweet potatoes

I also drank lots of green tea and water.  

Great job, KellBell!!  That's a very motivating start.  

And I like your plan about breakfast.  I might consider that, too, since I'm still unsure of whether I should allow myself those bites or not.  I remembered another reason I usually do it that way is that there are some supplements I take in the morning that will upset my stomach if I don't eat a little.   And I think it's important for me to settle into a long-term routine of three *small* meals a day (after all the crazy dieting and meal-skipping of the past).  If that slows down my weight loss a tiny bit, I'm fine with that.  On the other hand, if an extended fast would actually decrease my hunger and cravings, as some claim it will, then I may need to try it!  

Ok, we're doing this!  Let's have another great 5-bite day!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 3 of 30

Post  thinmom on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:05 pm

Thurs., Jan. 15

Breakfast- 5 bites egg casserole
Lunch- 5 bites tuna/ peas/ noodles concoction
Supper- 5 bites beans w/ rice and mixed veggies

Lots of green tea. But not enough water!

Felt desperately hungry and weak most of the day. Last night when I was putting away some food I had prepped for today, I was SO tempted to start stuffing myself with it. And it wasn't even anything tasty! In order to have the strength to put it into the fridge, I had to promise myself that I would be allowed to take huge, secret bites of plain brown rice at the end of my 30 days! Ridiculous. But hopefully I won't want to by then. Smile

I am very hopeful about day 4 being easier. Even if it's not, I'm going to push past the momentary discomfort. I can do this!!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 4 of 30

Post  thinmom on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Fri., Jan. 16

Weight: 150 (lost 5 pounds in first 3 days!)

Breakfast: 5 bites cinnamon raisin millet and plain yogurt
Lunch: 5 bites chicken-brown rice casserole and green beans
Supper: 5 bites leftover chicken casserole

Drank lots of unsweetened green tea. Had one cup of stevia-sweetened herbal tea at bedtime.

I did have some huge struggles with my hunger and came very close to giving up on all this and just "feeling better." I got on the forum to look for help, and even reading my own journal inspired me to keep going. I sounded so set and determined- I convinced myself again that I can do this! I am choosing to do this! There is no "starting tomorrow." There will never be a better time or easier time to do this. The only time I really have to make the right choice is right now!

Now I'm all set for another perfect 5-bite day. Then I will have made it 1/6 of the way through my 30 days! Smile

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 5 of 30

Post  thinmom on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:08 pm

Sat., Jan. 17
W: 149.5
X: 30 minute walk, afternoon

Breakfast: 5 bites of fried egg and sourdough bread
Lunch: 5 bites of homemade chicken nuggets, broccoli, and tomatoes
Supper: 5 bites leftover nuggets and stevia-sweetened lemonade

Still drinking unsweetened green tea and (not enough) water.

Seemed to be a turning point. Although there are times I still feel desperate to eat, the physical sensations of hunger are pretty much gone. Now there's no turning back!! Very Happy

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 6 of 30

Post  thinmom on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Sun., Jan. 18
W:  148.0
X:  none
pale had 10 extra bites after supper, while "putting away" food

Breakfast:  5 bites veggie scrambled eggs
Lunch:  4 bites creamy chicken/ rice/ spinach dish
 1 bite of 2 dates for dessert (Yes, my mouth was stuffed!)
Supper:  5 bites chili beans and cornbread

Some unsweetened green tea and stevia-sweetened lemonade.  Lemonade is gone now, which is good, since I'm trying to go easy on "sweet" for awhile.  

Not very hungry today!  Struggling emotionally with some things, but thankfully I'm not tempted to "eat them away".

** update: Just a few minutes after writing all this, I went to put supper away and caved in to some extra bites. Sad Even though I don't have actual hunger pangs anymore, I do have a very strong physical response to the presence of food. My stomach gets queasy, my mouth waters, and I feel shaky. That's just from looking at leftovers! Anyway, it's the same battle I fought a few days ago, but this time I lost. I had a whole piece of cornbread and some more beans, for a total of 10 extra bites. And it was a very hard fight to stop there. Yes, it's true that I felt full by that time as a result of this diet, but I still could very easily have continued into an all-evening binge. I have certainly ignored "full" before! There's nothing to do now but carry on . . .

Last edited by thinmom on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update)

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 7 of 31

Post  thinmom on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:22 pm

Mon., Jan. 19

Weight:  147.5  (I wanted to skip this because of last night, so I'm proud of myself for going through with it no matter what the scales could have shown!  I am committed to post my weight daily to avoid the denial I sometimes fall into.  I am well-aware of fluctuations, so that part doesn't bother me.)
X:  none

Breakfast:  5 bites millet, raisin, peanut muesli
Lunch:  5 bites chicken/ spinach/ rice dish and stirfried zucchini
Supper:  5 bites pepperoni pizza and cucumber salad (Yay! I did it!)

We are having friends over for pizza tonight.  The evening will probably include a rather uncomfortable discussion (related to my emotional turmoil yesterday).   I will have to stay very focused to stick to my 5 bites rather than just mindlessly eating to try to avoid the awkwardness which may occur.  And someone else will have to put the pizza away!!  

Because of last night, I have changed my 30-day commitment to 31!  I told myself that I could handle 5 bites three times a day for 30 days, no matter how hard it got.  So I'm not going to let myself off the hook!  Yesterday cannot truly count as one of those 30 days, so I had to add an extra day to the total.  I know that some people would just subtract bites from the next day, but my will power is too fragile to risk something like that.  I don't want to push myself over the edge!  Also, I'm really wanting to create some powerful habits.  Continuing on with 5 bites at each meal, even if I've messed up, seems to be the best way to move in that direction.

Last edited by thinmom on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 8 of 31

Post  thinmom on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:37 pm

Tues., Jan. 20

Weight:  146.0  (I lost 9 pounds in my first week!  I'm pretty happy with that start!)
X: 20-minute moderate walk 

Breakfast: 5 bites of fruit/nut/oatmeal/yogurt muesli
Lunch: 5 bites of chili w/ cornbread
Supper: 5 bites of enchilada casserole and cucumber salad

Finishing this day will be put me over a fourth of the way to my commitment!  And these first 9 pounds lost are very encouraging to me because my clothes are starting to fit properly and I'm beginning to feel like myself again.  155 (my starting weight) was WAY over my upper limit for the past couple of years.  Although I've been much larger in the past, I have yo-yoed my way down to the point that around 145 has become my new normal or average.  Last year I got rid of all my larger sized clothes, feeling like that was assurance I would never go back!  Well . . . for the past couple months I've been squeezing into the very few number of outfits that would allow me to.  Uncomfortable and unflattering!  But I could not bring myself to buy a larger size again!  I was extremely discouraged.  Anyway, all that to say that I'm feeling very hopeful about approaching my "normal" again.  Once I finish my 31 days and am starting to truly get thinner than I've been, I will form a new plan.  I want to take that part very slowly this time.

Update just before bed: Today was tough! I felt weak and weepy. And my stomach felt like it was turning inside out, begging me for more food. I don't say this to complain or to discourage anyone from this diet. It's just that I want to have an honest journal to look back on and learn from. One of the lessons that I have learned and am still learning is to never let my guard down. If I get too caught up in the all-will-be-easy-after-day-3 mindset, then days like today make me think I am doing something wrong and that this diet isn't working for me after all. So it's important for me to remind myself that there can still be really, really hard days or hours even once I'm settled into this. That's ok. I can push through and know that there will be many easy days, too!

Last edited by thinmom on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 9 of 31

Post  thinmom on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:40 am

Wed, Jan 21

Weight: 146.5 (no worries, especially since yesterday's weight seemed to be an extra low dip)
X: none

Breakfast: 5 bites of cranberry baked oatmeal with milk
Lunch: 5 bites of beef & veggie stew
Supper: 5 bites of cheese toast

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Post  cin123 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:07 pm

You are doing awesome! It is helpful reading this - very inspiring!

Keep up the good work! cheers
cin123

Back to top Go down

Day 10 of 31

Post  thinmom on Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:48 am

Weight:  145.0  (Yay!)
X:  none  (Maybe later I'll get around to explaining why I'm bothering to track my lack of exercise . . . Smile )

Breakfast:  5 bites fruit/nut/oatmeal/yogurt muesli
Lunch:  5 bites ratatouille, cheddar cheese, and whole wheat bread
Supper:  4 bites baked fish and creamed spinach & 1 homemade fruit and nut protein ball (which I ate in many small bites- sort of a cheat)

The protein balls are calling my name right now, so I better hurry and get to bed.  But I'll quickly say that today was fairly easy, without the constant battles of the previous 2 days.  It's so wonderful when I can just go about my day and forget that I'm even on a diet!

Thank you so much, cin123!  It sounds like you're off to a really strong start, too.  I'm looking forward to watching your progress!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day ????

Post  thinmom on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm

I'm sheepishly crawling back, hoping to pick up the pieces after blowing it BIG TIME.

After my last logged day, I crashed into major compulsive overeating, and it has continued until now. Every day I have "started over" and imagined myself logging a successful day before bed. But I usually never even made it to lunch before giving up again. Of course, eating as much as I have been, it's not hunger keeping me from getting through a day. I could go for quite awhile without being hungry! Sad I think it's partly discouragement, but also that I seem to have to go through withdrawal of some kind when I stop overeating. It seems so much easier to continue to numb myself with food, even to the point of feeling sick to my stomach, than to stop the sugar stupor and face up to the damage I've done. Speaking of damage, I absolutely cannot weigh myself right now!! I'm sure I'm well over the starting weight I had a few weeks ago.

My only goal for right now is to make it through today. I want to have one successful day behind me. I can do this. I will feel so good when I do this!!!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Post  thinmom on Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:31 am

I did it! I made it through one day of 3 5-bite meals. And I'm going to do it again tomorrow!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Cobweb on Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:01 am

I am new here - just started today. I've been reading your journal. I hope you're doing better!

Cobweb

Back to top Go down

Day 3 of 20

Post  thinmom on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:27 pm

I'm back to try again!

I did not make it through that second day I was going for . . .
I have been falling hard over and over again. Sad However, something clicked for me a couple days ago, and I now how have 2 5-bite days behind me. Yay!

I am going to start totally over with my count, and I'm going for 20 days this time. This is partly to make it shorter and more do-able. Also, that takes me right to the weekend of my 40th birthday. I might want to allow myself a few extra bites then if my husband takes me out. I certainly do NOT want to allow myself to continue the miserable cycle of overeating and yo-yo dieting in my next decade! Hopefully I can lose enough to give me great hope for losing it all in my 40th year.

Tomorrow I will weigh- something that strikes terror in my heart. I have not weighed since I fell off the wagon on January 22nd. Facing the truth myself will be hard, but posting it here will be even harder. I'm so ashamed for everyone to see just how out-of-control my eating has been. Sad (However, I need to face the fact that my real-life friends can see it, too- in my appearance!) Not only have I eaten lots of volume, but it's been the most calorically dense foods possible. My rebel side was striking back hard against the part of me that wants to lose weight. Many issues I need to deal with! Anyway, I want to commit again to weigh everyday, even if I know it will be bad news. Even if I crash and stop the diet again, I commit to post my daily weight here. (Yikes! Did I really just say that?) Here's an article that deals with this, and it's something I have definitely found to be true: http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/Health-News/weight-loss-10-second-trick/2015/02/01/id/621980/

Thank you so much, Cobweb!! I feel very hopeful about being back and starting over. (Something popped into my head this morning I had read about people who successfully quit smoking- they usually had many unsuccessful attempts first. When I fail, why do I think I'm hopeless and want to give up? Each time I try again, it is more likely to be the time I will make it all the way!) I will be eagerly watching for your success, too!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 4 of 20

Post  thinmom on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:38 pm

Wed, Feb. 4th

W: 150.0 (ouch!)
X:
S: 8 hours

B: 5 bites pumpkin raisin oatmeal
L: 5 bites red beans and rice
S: 5 bites red beans and rice and cornbread

-drinking unsweetened tea and water

I really would like to be at 140 by my birthday in two weeks. But I don't know if that's doable. Maybe if I pushed harder by giving up my breakfast and trying Herbgirl's cayenne pepper strategy . . . But I might be too much of a wimp to do either of those! (I think her peanut butter strategy would backfire on me because I love peanut butter so much . . . ) I will probably continue as I am for a few more days to reach the point where my appetite lessens and I have more momentum. The important thing right now is to not dwell on my failures and regained weight from the past two weeks. And that's where my mind tends to go when I think about setting a goal for my birthday. Sad All I can do now is move on. And I will! I am!!

However, I do want to learn from my mistakes. And that's one reason I wanted to keep a detailed journal here, even though it felt pointless when I was really on a roll with 5 bites. Anyway, I did notice the night before my big crash that I made some protein balls. These were healthy treats made of peanut butter, raisins, protein powder, stevia, etc. However, they were very rich and something that my mind perceived as a major treat (sugar + fat!). That night for supper I allowed myself to count one as a bite, but I held it and ate it as many small bites. Before, I had been very strict about my bite counting and almost always used a spoon or fork- no "snack" food. I remember that immediately after supper, those protein balls were calling to me. And they are where my late-night binge started. Sad So. . . although the beauty of this diet is the ability to eat anything, I think it would be unwise for me to make any sort of "treats" for awhile. And eating "meal" food with a fork rather than "snack" food with my fingers seems to be much safer for me.

Yesterday I heard a song on the radio that inspired me: "This is Day 1 of the rest of your life. The future has begun- Day 1!"

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 5 of 20

Post  thinmom on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:32 am

Thurs, Feb 5th

W: 149.5
X:
S: 6 hours

B: 5 bites oat/nut/hemp muesli
L: 5 bites swiss steak and roasted root veggies
S: 5 bites beans w/ rice and coleslaw

Trying to drink a lot. Not terribly hungry.

I'm now 1/4 of the way through my mini challenge. I know I can make it to 20!!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 6 of 20

Post  thinmom on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:41 am

Fri, Feb 6

W: 148.0
S: 6 hours
X: none

B: 5 bites
L: 6 bites Sad
S: 6 bites Sad

I really want to lose 8 pounds in the next two weeks. That's faster than I normally can lose, even on the 5BD. But I'm going for it!

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Day 7 of 20

Post  thinmom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:21 pm

Sat, Feb 7

W: 147.5
X:
S: 7 hours

B: 5 bites grain/nut/fruit muesli w milk
L: 5 bites creamy chicken rice soup w whole wheat bread
S: 5 bites BBQ roast beef on whole wheat bread

I did have quite a bit of hunger, but thankfully my high level of motivation makes it easy to ignore.

thinmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top